Help choosing a right 1" threaded headset

TurboJ

Retro Newbie
So I bought a headset along with a frameset, and didn't need to check for suitability as the seller did that for me.

Alas, a LBS cut my steerer tube too short while attempting to install the head set, and now I need a new headset with a lower stack height.

It's a one-inch threaded steerer, 24 TPI.
If it's relevant, the frame & forks are Columbus steel Fausto Coppi of around '95 vintage.
The outer diameter of the head tube is 31.8 mm, the inner I can't measure since there is a headset in place.

Now, stack height in this case is the total height of all the headset components that are left visible outside the head tube, right?

Measured like this, my current headset has a stack height of 40.00 mm, without any washers/spacers in place.
As it sits, the locknut doesn't go deep enough, the steerer tube is about 2mm too short even without a washer in the headset.

I know I will be needing a one-inch threaded headset - one with 38 mm stack height, including the locking washer- but what about
crown race diameter, S.H.I.S measurements all other measurements ( I don't even know what S.H.I.S stands for) ?

So what measurements am I going to need in order to choose the right headset?

I would love a Campagnolo headset, and one could be had reasonably on the web, but I'm afraid the 36.5 mm stack height might be too much (A new Campy Record 1" headset). Does that Campy stack height measurement include the washer below the locknut? I already have a beautiful Campagnolo engraved toothed washer I'd like to use, but it's 4 mm thick, which would likely mean the lock nut would not have enough thread to lock into..

TurboJ":hl6hunhf said:
.....LBS cut my steerer tube too short while attempting to install the head set...

Problem one, right there- if this is indeed the case, get them to supply you a new fork and fit it properly.

Back