8/9/10 speed cassettes

jaguarking

Dirt Disciple
Need a bit of help, returning to cycling after a few years absence, looking to build up a frame per my other posts, but have question on the group sets, There seems to be a whole range of Cassettes available from 7 - 10 speed and more, I believe I understand the difference freewheel to Freehub system, Question Will all the Cassettes fit with any freehub or Do I need to Match makes (think thats unlikely) and If I'm going for shifters on the downtube ( probably Campag Chorus) are these all ok for "old school" linear movement, IE Not indexing . Is there a site or Page someone can direct me to so I can gen up on it all please.

7 speed takes a narrower freehub body than 8 or up.

For Campagnolo, 8 is unique, 9,10 and 11 are interchangeable cassette-hub.
For Shimano, 8,9,10 are interchangeable.

The CTC has a lot of good pages.

Also for best results the cassette, rear mech and shifters should all be compatible which usually means from the same manufacturer, and preferably for the same number of gears. (i.e. all 8 speed Campagnolo) There have been long threads on here about the interesting ways one can stretch this but for simplicity sake best to start with a matching set.

hamster":cb2cvs6c said:
mostly - some shimano wheels - the upper end ones ultegra/duraace are for 10 speed only with alloy freehubs and deeper splines.

if youre not indexing, anything should work, but the close tolerances of 10 speed will mean you need to be careful when changing so that a ahm-fisted approach doesnt overchange. With 5 speed and big gaps between gears, the lever slightly out of place was more tolerant.

hamster":3v7szm9y said:
7 speed takes a narrower freehub body than 8 or up.

For Campagnolo, 8 is unique, 9,10 and 11 are interchangeable cassette-hub.

The CTC has a lot of good pages.

A 7sp Shimano cassette will also fit modern Shimano type freehubs provided it's an HG not UG one (my tourer has a 7sp Sunrace cassette on an 8sp Sachs freehub), although the reverse isn't the case. You'll need some sort of spacing washer to stop lateral movement though.

David

The various manufacturers spacing is not the same. Some cassettes can be modified (if they come apart) for interchangeability. As a rough guide Campagnolo is unique, the rest are much the same. However earlier versions are different again, so watch the "freehub" carefully.

Back