Unknown Bike - ID and Parts Dating Please

Nomads

Dirt Disciple
Hello, and please all have a virtual drink on me.

I have finally managed to find an old classic after missing a few over the years.

I'll get some pictures up hopefully today, and would appreciate any help in ID'ing the F&F and dating it along with the parts.

I have done some research and it has tappered rear stays and a loop over the top tube / post.

It also has a numeric serial number which matches the forks. I thought it may be a Falcon but some have X serials and this does not. At the top of the forks there is also a heart shape. The serial is under the BB.

The bike is a mis-match of bits. It has Campagnola GS brakes and cranks (197:cool:, with Large Flange Record hubs. It also has a long fluted Campag Post, but is stuck :cry:

I will take the cranks out and try and free the post, but if the frame is low end, is it better to save the post rather than the frame?

Any help is very much apprceciated, thanks.

This is THE reference for dealing with stuck seatposts:

http://sheldonbrown.com/stuck-seatposts.html

There are various methods on the list that are less destructive that you can try first before cutting the post or the frame.

I've also had some success with putting a long piece of metal pipe between the saddle rails to use as a lever (use an old saddle you don't care about for this). Get someone to hold the frame while you turn the lever. If the corrosive bond isn't too bad, the post may come loose.

Sorry, can't help with the frame ID, but the components sound nice and definitely worth saving.

Good luck,

Johnny

First try with the post would be to soak it in WD40, take off the saddle then lock the top of the post in a vice. Don't go mad but you should be able to apply a fair amount of pressure using the frame. If there's no movement then there's little choice but to hacksaw it out. I have a Bianchi with a stuck post at the moment so I will be going down the same road :( If only people used a bit of grease!

Frame wise the wraparound seat stays made me think Carlton but there should be a letter preceding the number. Coventry Eagle also used the same seat stay wraparound.

Looks a bit like a raleigh 60's gran sport.........they had wrap round stays and being reynolds tubing would expect a 27.2 seat post. 60's Raleighs had a 5 digit frame number before moving onto a number with a letter.

Should have some braze ons though......

Shaun

It has the look of a quantity production, gas hole, distinctive but cheap looking crown. Did Carlton use the cheap Raleigh wrap over on any but the basic mass produced frames?

I would guess that Carlton would have had Capella / Crespera Lugs, 1968-72 they had only a numbered frame but usually a couple more digits.

Could be a Barton-on-Humber Falcon (they didn't braze much on) but again the frame number seems wrong. Dropouts are not pressed so wan't the bottom of the barrel.

Shaun

Not sure the forks belong. On a second look the front fork ends look like the Italian style, ground off smooth, the rear are the usual British domed and slotted, but not filed.

Could be different forks......loads got swapped because of a front end bash. The kit is 70's Campag, suntour, 1st gen shimano and those interesting Sugino black and drilled rings. I ran them on my Falcon, still have the bag they came in :D

Shaun

Back