Raleigh Weekender - Advice Please! [Updated - Bike Complete]

ts743

Retro Newbie
A Raleigh Weekender appeared locally last week and I picked it up for my other half as she prefers the low top tube arrangement and they don't seem very common - it's the perfect size! It's been a while since I built up a bike, so after some pointers having successfully taken it mostly to bits...

The idea is a full restoration, using as many period parts as possible. Having the frame stripped and powder coated this weekend to start things off. The running gear is in very good condition, with little wear - just very dirty. I aim to replace the steel parts that have rusted - and the wheels, which have seen better days.

image8.jpg

Firstly, headsets. I am assuming this is a 1" threaded - Is there anything else I need to take into account when sourcing a new one? When it comes to fitting - how would I remove the cups from the head tube and the crown race? And then fit new?

I also want to remove the badge before paint and re-attach. It does not look to have any rivets like some I've seen - anybody have any idea how it might be fixed?

image3.jpg

Bottom Bracket - There seems to be so many different styles - I've not removed one of this type before - Can anyone identify this and how it's removed? I am assuming it's as simple as measuring the internal diameter of the bottom bracket tube to determine size, should I decide / need to replace? Not really sure on this, apologies if it's a basic question.

image5.jpg

If anybody has any bits that would suit then please hit me up :) I'm not a purist, just want to create a nice ride-able bike.

Thanks!

Re: Raleigh Weekender - Advice Please!

Older Raleighs had their own proprietary headset sizes and threads. Frankly the one you have looks OK, so I would remove, polish it up and refit.

For the bottom bracket, you need to undo the outer lockrings and then unscrew with a pin spanner. The drive side has a left hand thread. Source a bottom bracket with the same length axle. Again, regreasing your existing one (a Tange so decent quality) would do.

Check if the wheels are 27" or 700c. Also I bet the rear is 126mm (possibly even 120mm) so consider getting the frame re-spaced before painting.

The rear brakes on mixte frames often run upside down to get a clean cable run, again impossible to find new today. Don't throw away anything unless you are sure you have a replacement. Finally, most stuff works fine after a good clean, and you can easily spend several times the value of the bike. Re-use stuff where you can. Most of the chrome will de-rust after a rub down with soapy water and a bit of bacofoil. A spray over with WD40 or waxing after will keep it shiny.

If you want endless tips on rebuilding try YouTube. Here's one on making headset install and removal tools:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLrde8nyGyc[/youtube]

Unless it done some serious miles you should find both the headset and bottom bracket cups and axle will clean up. Just use new bearings and grease and careful adjustment to remove any play. There will be a youtube video on how to do that :)

The headbadge is later than rivets and probably glued. If you buy some 0000 grade steel wool, spray it with WD40 it will remove the rust speckles from the chrome. Or, if anything is really bad drop them in oxcylic acid and that will clean them for you :)

Cheers for the tips guys - I'll post back here with progress :D

hamster":rqjvwtuf said:
Check if the wheels are 27" or 700c. Also I bet the rear is 126mm (possibly even 120mm) so consider getting the frame re-spaced before painting.

That sounds very interesting. I've no idea how to get the rear dropouts re-spaced, but would be very interested to get any info on how this is done :D

Cheers

Richard

Cleaning up components:

IMG_1733.jpg

Carefully dismantling:

IMG_1742.jpg

Not forgetting the cable guide:

IMG_1744.jpg

Cup removal with copper pipe and hammer:

IMG_1751.jpg

Building back up after fresh powder coat and a bit of elbow grease: