Cyclocross bikes in Eroica

Johnsqual

Senior Retro Guru
Gah,

I was planning to take a 'cross bike to Eroica, but it seems they're against the rules.

What do people think: can I get away with taking my bike anyway? I could stick some ordinary road tyres on it to divert attention from its more cyclocrossy features. Mind you, I did up a bike for someone to ride the Eroica and put cross tyres on it, and that bloke didn't have any problems about taking part.

TBH, apart from knobby tyres (which I admit could be construed as 'cheating'), I don't really understand the ban on cyclocross bikes. After all, road racers used both cantilever brakes and bar end shifters in various combinations, and full on 'cross bikes have long been used in Paris Roubaix and the Ronde van Vlaanderen - even up to this year's edition by Zdnek Stybar. Sulk sulk....

I ran 30mm file-tread CX tubs on my Gios in 2010 - they were ideal. TBH there's no scrutineering at the event, so your free to ride what you want. I'd consider a retro-CX bike with bar-cons to be more appropriate than some of the modern 'conversions' you see where people have simply fitter DT levers and old bars/levers to a modern bike.

Back