Replica TA Raleigh

grogee

Retro Guru
Interesting that Raleigh has 're-issued' the TA model, and that Raleigh sees this nostalgia as worth £2,000:

http://www.raleigh.co.uk/ProductType/Pr ... &pr=32

I wonder if this site has anything to do with their decision to go down this route? There are a few other 'nostalgia' fuelled models, all with pretty hefty price tags.

I'm not passing judgement (good luck to them) - I just think it's interesting that the retrobike bug has come full circle back to OEM models.

What other retro models would you like to see re-issued? I'll take an Alan Carbon (with the nice shiny lugs) please....

Seems a bit absurd that you can still buy and/or do up
an original Raleigh TI for less than that price, and it would be more authentic.

For me, part of the pleasure of retro stuff is the process of doing it up myself, so reissues like this miss the point entirely.

Also, it has Ergos, so it's not suitable for proper Retro rides.

But like you say, good luck to them.

This re-issue is all over place with a cheap frame, expensive wheels and a mish-mash groupset.
The frame geometry looks all wrong too.
If this is the standard of re-issues then I don't want any thanks all the same.

Johnsqual is spot on with his comment about getting an original for less. If I was in the market for a modern steel frame with those components that would be a lot cheaper too, especially if I went to Bob Jackson for the frame (which would be made in Britain).

Mark.

On the topic of retro Raleighs, and a genuine team one at that, did anyone watch last night's Tour Series on ITV4? Tom Scully did the "preview lap" of the Woking course on a 1981 Ilkeston 753 ex-TdF machine in the classic red/yellow paint scheme....I was at the actual event on Tuesday night and saw it in the pits* on the roof rack of the Raleigh support car!

David

*I also saw Nigel Mansell in the pit area, and after the post-race prize presentations he came over and chatted to a few spectators. As did Ed Clancy and Ned Boulting - hats off to all three of them for taking the time to mingle with Joe Public including posing for photos, etc.

Back