Handy list of European Retro Rides

I think the problem is that we rather lack the kind of cycling history that could be used as a basis for one of these events.

What would they do? Ride around the 1994 Portsmouth TdF Route?

That's not to say there isn't lots of interesting terrain that would make for a nice ride, it's just that it would be hard to connect it to the kind of nostalgia that attracts people to L'Eroica or the Retro Ronde, both of which can tap into the very deep, almost mythical cycle racing histories of their respective countries.

Perhaps a good idea might be to somehow involve people like Brian Robinson, Barry Hoban, Vin Denson, Michael Wright etc who have some connection to both the classic era of cycling and to British cycling history. Obviously they're a bit old to actually take part...

I guess so but as far as I know there are a lot of UK entries to l'erocia so there are plenty of people into the retro biking. Perhaps a sportive could go retro.

No question that retro is increasingly popular in the UK. I have no doubt that a fun, challenging and well organised event can be put together, my main concern is whether/how they can recreate the really distinctive sense of history and atmosphere of L'Eroica and Retro RVV.

A retro ride in the UK might just be a load of people riding round on old bikes, and there's nothing wrong with that if people enjoy it.

However, it might be nice to use the event to make some connection to the early pioneers of British cycling (who don't often get much acknowledgement).

My only issue with a retro ronde ride is the insistance of wearing retro clothing. I do not own any nor do I want to. I like riding old bikes (it all I have really) but I do not like wearing old clothing.

It shold be about the bike no the clothing.

bm0p700f":2ssva7ym said:
My only issue with a retro ronde ride is the insistance of wearing retro clothing. I do not own any nor do I want to. I like riding old bikes (it all I have really) but I do not like wearing old clothing.

It shold be about the bike no the clothing.

I have to disagree with this one, I'm afraid. I think retro clothing is an essential part of the events. Something of the atmosphere is lost if people don't make some effort to look the part.

Of course, there are lots of replica historic jerseys in modern materials and these are a good compromise.

Flat cap and tweed? Hard to get an old helmet or is that the exception re modern garb?

I think the rule for clothing should be the same as for the bikes - more or less pre-1987 stuff, with replica jerseys in modern materials accepted. This seems to be the rule in the RRVV. Nobody's forced to wear tweed, thankfully.

Helmets are more difficult, as usual. It seems harsh to force people not to wear modern helmets, even if it also takes away from the atmosphere.

A couple more thoughts:

First, here in Belgium there is a certain de facto distinction between 'historic' events like the RRVV on the one hand and 'retro' events like the blauwvelokeskoers on the other. The former are attempting to really create a historic atmosphere, and would obviously be spoiled if everyone just turned up wearing whatever. The latter are more just fun events for people who like to ride old bikes. Both events seem to coexist quite nicely, and there is room for everyone if they do so. I guess the organisers of any British equivalent would have to choose what they want to go for.

Second, none of the 'rules' mentioned have to be strictly enforceable, nobody has to be sent home for having the 'wrong' kit. But the organisers can make it clear that they strongly prefer it if people make an effort to fit in with the intentions of the event, and advertise the rules widely and clearly so everyone knows.

Back