What's the Least Bad Helmet?

Iwasgoodonce

Old School Grand Master
I'm not looking for a debate here. You won't convince me that it should be anything other than personal choice.

However, I missed yesterday's ride purely because I don't hold with the "dress code" and unless I want to not go on any more retro rides it looks like I need to waste some money and get a new one. I do have an old one for when I go tractor riding, (I wear it whenever off road) but it causes me to sweat gallons on the road.

Is there any we can get stock from the USA or Australia? The reason I ask is that even though the model of helmet may be the same, because the Europe/UK safety test is so slack, manufacturers cut costs and materials for the market here.

So, what is recommended? It will likely only be used on retro rides. It must be light, vented and unobtrusive. I really don't want the pleasure of cycling to become a chore.

Thanks as ever.

The hat I wear is a Bell and it's light, vented but certainly not unobtrusive despite being black, it's job is to protect me and not a fashion item............ do you mean the dress code is for a 70's hat?

Shaun

I'm confused. Wasn't aware of any dress codes re safety equipment. Or attire for that matter. But I am new to this hence my wanting this clarified to prevent any future faux pas.

Can somebody explain what this OP is about?

Iwasgoodonce":25jjf4my said:
Is there any we can get stock from the USA or Australia? The reason I ask is that even though the model of helmet may be the same, because the Europe/UK safety test is so slack, manufacturers cut costs and materials for the market here.

That's pretty pointless. The US standard is still very low compared to any impact likely to do more than tear the scalp, and when consumer associations tested randomly sampled helmets bought in stores in they found a very high failure rate.

Basic rules of helmets -

- They won't protect you from a hit with a car that's likely to kill you, so don't take extra chances

- Make sure you get one that fits and that you wear it properly - otherwise the foam liner will not compress in an accident; the need to try a helmet on before commiting really makes buying from abroad very difficult

- The lighter and more vented a helmet is, the more likely it is that the shell will break before the liner compresses - sorry; this is just the ways things are: stronger shells are heavier - at least unless you use more expensive materials and moulding technologies. (Which can reputedly raise the manufacturing cost of a $150 helmet to as much as $10!) On the bright (haha) side, some people I know in the US claim that on really hot days they are cooler wearing the helmet because it keeps the sun off their heads.

Best suggestion: go into the biggest bike store you can find and buy the best looking ventilated helmet that you can find **that fits you.** Maybe read this first so you know more about what to look for

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j& ... 4661,d.d2k

They are all fairly crap. Only any use for pushing thin branches out of the way as you hack through the woods.

Get one that fits and that you like the look of.

Iron_Helmet_SK.png

probably non UCI compliant

torqueless":n3ugeqax said:
The History Man":n3ugeqax said:
Can somebody explain what this OP is about?
http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... p;t=236596

Aha, human rights infringements! Just put a bloody helmet on! If that's the biggest thing you've got to worry/argue about lucky you.

(This minor rant is aimed not at any individual but merely represents the views of this attendee of a very pleasant road ride yesterday where common sense prevailed and who was blissfully unaware of any issues concerning the wearing or otherwise of protective headgear.)

Back