Offroad fixed

GaryGoat

Dirt Disciple
Just in the process of finishing off my Raleigh Technium Heat for fixed use with knobbly tyres, just built up a rear wheel around a disc front hub and will be using a Velosolo bolt on cog... Been riding around the local trails on my singlespeed happily on 34-18, the terrain is E.Mids woodlands with short, steep ups and downs, from looking at 63XC, they recommend a slightly higher gear for making D/Hills easier.
Any thoughts on that and any favoured gear combo's for fixed off road

Not exactly the right forum for this but I did have a fixed off road bike for a while and it is a blast, until you f' up your knees. Gearing really depends on the terrain and how steep the hills are but I ran the same ratio as my regular SS. That 34/18 would be a bit tall around here but if you are comfortable with it then tie it a shot.

i had a fixed MTB a few years ago. Just used and old alu frame with vert dropouts but one that had quite a large plate for the dropouts, then drilled and filed the dropout to create a 45deg slot, worked fine. Then it got nicked. The only consolation was think of how they must have got a shock as they tried to ride it away.

An old legacy site here, no longer maintaned

http://www.63xc.com/

Back