DIY headset installation

RobWJL

Old School Hero
I've acquired a nice record headset and am pondering its instalation. I am very keen to build the whole bike myself but is it ill advised to attempt this?

I have read a couple of horror stories on various forums.

Using a long bolt and large washers to install the upper and lower head races sounds logical and low risk...

Famous last words.

I've done the homemade headset press trick several times now and not had too many problems.

You just have to be a bit patient and make sure the races and cones go in straight. Be ready to start again if they start to go off centre when pressing them in. Having a decent workstand helps enormously as well.

I've also used a professional headset press, which is definitely easier - it's less difficult to keep the cups centred.

It's really a decision between the satisfaction of a full DIY job and the security of using proper materials. Up to you, really...

001.JPGheadset

They come in many forms. This looks flimsy compared to some with larger diameter 'bolt', but last time I used it I didn't even need a spanner on the nut- Just turning the wingnut was enough to persuade the top-race and bottom-cup home. (One at a time, not both at once). The holes in the blocks of hardwood are a loose fit on the thread. Small washer between the wood block and the nut at each end.

There's not much that can go wrong, once you understand that a cylinder of metal which is pressed into another cylinder of metal at an angle is an 'ovaliser', and to be avoided. You really shouldn't encounter that much resistance- if it's going in straight- not with a used headset on an old frame. Maybe there is more resistance with an unused headset on a new frame which has never had a headset installed before- I wouldn't know.

I have been changing headsets for 20 years with the same home-made tool comprising a screwed rod and two large washers. Never had any problems, you just need to be careful and I recommend installing one cup at a time.

Headset press or a plank of wood / hammer ............either way it's a home job that doesn't really need an LBS. The crown race is trickier :)

Shaun

I've installed quite a few now with a home made press as described above.
I always knock the fork race home with a hammer & piece of plastic pipe that just fits over the steerer tube.
The only other thing to think about is the size of headset.
JIS headsets have a 30.0mm frame cup & a 27.0mm crown race.
ISO (the most common) have a 30.2 frame cup & a 26.4 crown race.

torqueless & Shaun have given me excellent advice about this on another post :)

Back