Where to get repro campy SR hoods ? Modern Retro rims etc...

Quigs Snr

Dirt Disciple
Hi,

Waiting to take delivery of an 1985 Colnago Master...

Need the following bits:

Campy Super Record Hoods (Black), seen a few really pricey ones on Ebay.

Bike comes with tubular rims built onto 32h Campy SR hubs. Thinking I would like to rebuild on clinchers because I intend using this bike for long solo rides on the days when I could not be bothered doing intervals for races etc...... something that is period correct would be nice. Failing that, something that looks retro that I could take the decals off... suggestions please.

Needs bartape... get modern Colnago Cork Tape ? Brooks Leather tape ? (I am thinking black tape by the way, although the bike is all white - except stem which is black). Any other recommendations ?

Bottle cage : Any particular generic retro / retro looking cafe or if such a thing exists a colnago/campy specific bottle cage that fits with the bikes age ?

Finally brake cables. The outers look badly discoloured (they seem to be white, or maybe clear ?), modern cables ok, or is that a sin ?

Thanks for the advice.. new to retro, being rolling around on modern Di2 equipped Cervelo's but decided to go after my dream bike of 28 years ago instead.

Re: Where to get repro campy SR hoods ? Modern Retro rims et

1) Hoods: Campyoldy usually has some in stock: http://www.campyoldy.co.uk/

2) Rims: You could try Rigida rims, which still seem to be fairly easily available and have a reasonably old-school look.
Try here, for example: www.hollandbikeshop.com

3) Bar Tape: Please, NOT Brooks leather tape. IMO it's an anachronistic rip-off and it looks crap. Real racing cyclists would not have used it beacuse it's too heavy and some people say it soaks up too much sweat.
Ambrosio Bike Ribbon is a more authentic option for a 1985 bike. Microtex tape is good stuff and also looks quite retro -
Fizik has fancy stuff in lots of colours. Decathlon has decent stuff that's cheap, but only in red, blue, black or white

4) Bottle cage: Zefal are probably the most classic style.
Campagnolo made an 'aero' bottle cage that looks like a giant fabric softener bottle. They are very expensive to buy and look a bit daft IMO.*

5) Cables: Nothing wrong with modern cables. Jagwire make a good range of colours and is easy to find on the bay. Decathlon have cables in red, white or black which seem decent. Often the silver branding rubs off quite easily if you don't like it.

Personally I disagree on the Brooks tape - but it has to go with the rest of the bike (i.e. not with a saddle with a hole in it for example).
It is not very shock absorbent, so a wrap of conventional tape underneath for the tops at least is worthwhile. However the shock absorption is better than Tressorex or cotton tape (which is simply non-existent).

It depends on whether the bike is a rider or simply a looker for the odd 10 mile trip.

I have some NOS black modolo ones here (mounted on Corsa levers) if you get stuck , I think the same body dimensions were used by all manufacturers back then.

Attachments

• $T2eC16dHJIYE9qUcO3zqBQy62WnTOQ~~60_57.jpg
    $T2eC16dHJIYE9qUcO3zqBQy62WnTOQ~~60_57.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 268

Thanks for the help folks. Food for thought there.

Back