NSU Bicycle

Tristared

Retro Newbie
This is my first post on the forum so hello everyone…

I’ve recently moved to north London from East and so to keep up with mates I’ve decided to get myself a bike, being more into classic cars than bikes I decided on a car brand bicycle.

So I bought an NSU. The company allegedly stopped making bicycles in the late 60’s but this looks decidedly new(ish)...

I'm interested to find out more - does anyone here know anything about them?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NSU-bicycle-M ... MR:GB:1123

All the best,

Ed

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Tristared":2976grtb said:
This is my first post on the forum so hello everyone…

I’ve recently moved to north London from East and so to keep up with mates I’ve decided to get myself a bike, being more into classic cars than bikes I decided on a car brand bicycle.

So I bought an NSU. The company allegedly stopped making bicycles in the late 60’s but this looks decidedly new(ish)...

I'm interested to find out more - does anyone here know anything about them?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NSU-bicycle-M ... MR:GB:1123

All the best,

Ed

Correct it is new-ish...my guess in 1990s, NSU, the original company, was purchased by Volkswagen in the late 1960s (69 I think).

NSU did stop making bicycles in the 1960s...your bike appears to have many components common to roadster/hybrid style bikes through the second half of the 1990s to the present day - guess it was made in the far east.

OK for a £60 runabout, but by no means interesting or remotely classic (ever).

Here's a real NSU below, and that would be interesting.

Roadking.

Attachments

• NSU.jpg
    NSU.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 1,474
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
You're wrong - it pleases me no end to say...

I bought the bike from an ex german postal worker who informed me that when the country's aging fleet of NSU bicycles became tired they were sent to another German firm (Zweirad-Einkaufs-Genossenschaft) for renewal. Deutsche Post believed that the NSU frames were of such high quality it was better to renew than replace.

It was then they recieved modern Sachs gearing and Shimano brakes. This is backed with number of NSU and ZEG stampings and sticker on the frame.

Tristared":1vkhft2v said:

Careful now, that comment could be misconstrued as a bit confrontational.

I think Roadking is right in his original verdict by the way. The construction of the frame on eBay is definitely not vintage in any way. The TIG welded tube joints, the v-brake mounts, the uni-crown forks etc. etc. just aren't right for a vintage frame.

Nice colour though and pretty good for £60.

Mark.

daccordimark":1dzrozov said:
Tristared":1dzrozov said:

Careful now, that comment could be misconstrued as a bit confrontational.

I think Roadking is right in his original verdict by the way. The construction of the frame on eBay is definitely not vintage in any way. The TIG welded tube joints, the v-brake mounts, the uni-crown forks etc. etc. just aren't right for a vintage frame.

Nice colour though and pretty good for £60.

Mark.

Thanks Mark.

What I find even more confusing is the tale about the German postal worker...bike bought on fleabay from Southend!

We can all see quite clearly that this bike is a modern thing...stickers, reflectors on the wheels, lights...plus the petulant teenager attitude.

Bored now.

Jon.

Back