Freewheel compatibility

RobWJL

Old School Hero
Apologies in advance as this is probably a stupid query coming from someone very new to vintage bikes:

I am currently building a bike (baptism of fire!) and have amassed several components – some of which are useful, some bought naively due to lack of knowledge. Anyway, I am trying to work out how much flexibility II have in the choice of a freewheel. I have a Campag record hub that is apparently suitable for 5/6 speeds (130mm OLD at the rear). I also have a Nuovo Record rear mech and Strada chainset. I am yet to get hold of decent enough down tube shifters.

Can anyone assist? Do I need to spend a fortune on a NOS Campag freewheel? Also, are my choice of shifters dictated by going for 6 speed?

No need to buy a specific campagnolo freewheel. Just make sure your chain and freewheel match up, and avoid using an old chain on a new freewheel or vice versa.

For shifter compatibility, any friction shifters (non-indexed) will work with any drive train set up.

Indexed shifters need to be matched to the spacing of the freewheel - the indexing is determined by the space between each cog, and different brands had different spacings. I don't think there were any indexed systems for 5-6 speed (Shimano seemed to start with 7 speed), so indexing might not be relevant here anyway.

Friction shifters are much easier to set up and need little or no adjsutment if set up right first time. You just need to get used to using them.

Indexed shifters are more fiddly to set up and may need readjusting, but are somewhat easier to use once set up right.

Good luck,

Johnny

The world really is your oyster on this one, I would expect that your OLD for the hubs is 126 which is the standard for 5-6 speed. .

All you need is a screw on 5-6 speed freewheel and the matching chain, nothing fancy or flash will do unless you need silver or gold. Main problem will be how big the biggest sprocket on the freewheel can be, 28 teeth for a campag nuovo record rings a bell but I never ran anything bigger than a 24.

Campan Nuovo record Non-indexed levers would be my choice for your nuovo record mech, any non indexed levers will also suffice.

I sold my soul to Campyoldy for a Regina ORO chain and matching freewheel :)

Shaun

Basically any 5/6/7/8 speed freewheel will work with any rear mech and friction shifters (so long as the rear mech is properly adjusted!) and with the correct width chain. I take it that the Campag hub you have is for a screw on block? 130 OLD is for 7 speed and above isn't it? NR rear mechs should work up to 7 speed.

EDIT - damnation, beaten again by a few seconds, story of my life awheel...................... ;)

Typing at the same time as Johnny :) .......... I guess I should have mentioned index shifting LOL Very early Shimano SIS and Suntour were 6 speed but not sure many people used them. Stick with non-indexed :D

Shaun

Many thanks to everyone for the advice.

Is the tooth spacing on the chainrings part of the equation or are they universal? I.e. When I buy my non-Campag freewheel and matching chain, are they guaranteed to work with the Campag Strada chain set?

Also one further point – can I change the jockey wheels on the Nuovo Record for those on my older Gran Sport rear mech?

The reason I ask is that ones on the latter are in far better working order. How vital is size, tooth size, tooth number on a jockey wheel?

tooth spacing (more accurately referred to as chain pitch) is the one thing that is universal across all bikes at 1/4" to my knowledge - the differences come in the width of the chain between the plates...

non-dereaillieur (BMX and many sturmey-archer style setups) use a 1/8" gap.
deraillieur-equipped bikes use 3/32" gap.

the outer width across the plates will also vary dependant on how many "speeds" your drivetrain has with the wider ones running on 5 & 6 speed, getting progressively narrower up to 10 & 11 speed.

I am oversimplifying here as there are exceptions.

As above, your strada chainset is a standard size so all you need is a matching freewheel and chain. 5/6 speed in your case for simplicity :)

some track chainsets have a different pitch chain but forget them.

The tooth / size on jockey wheels are essentially the same. it's the fittings that are different from one to the other, some have bushes and some have bearings and the size of the bolts differ etc. Your Gran Sport and Nuovo record should be interchangable if the manufacturing dates are near.

You can buy replacement new non-oem jockey wheels that fit your campag but for the life of me I can't remember which (shimano) to swap them out for.

How retro do you want to be? chains for a fiver and freewheels for not a lot more if you want to buy cheap and new.

Shaun

Latest posts

Back