From paper to vinyl decals

Johnsqual

Senior Retro Guru
Hello,

Does anyone know roughly when companies moved from using paper (or water slide) decals to vinyl stickers?
I've got a mid- 70's restoration in mind but I'm not sure which type of decals would be best.

Cheers,

Johnny

Back in the 70's I had to apply a variety of decals..........

Varnish : The absolute pits, for older bikes. Apply varnish to the frame or the decals and stick to the frame. Stand back to admire a complete pigs ear.

Water Slide : Slide on and off like Airfix decals. I place the emphasis on off as that's what they did. Not as bad as varnish but close.

Immichrome (Carlton) : Simple stick on, the backs never lined up and the theory of pricking bubbles with a pin is just that......a theory.

531 type transfers / most mid 70's genuine decals : Peel off tissue paper and stick decals on using the backing paper. Rub down and remove backing paper and then pick the bits off the backing paper and try and fill in the missing bits on the frame. soak off the backing paper if time allows. better than all of the above.

Don't remember any vinyl replacement decals for road frames, children,s frames had some though :)

What bike is it?

Shaun

Thanks!

Wow, those all sound equally horrible. Is that why so many 531 decals are like a little
jigsaw puzzle with different bits stuck on the frame?

The frame is a Groene Leeuw from the mid 1970s. I've not actually bought it yet.
It's a frame that's been resprayed and I'd like to put it back to its original colour scheme.

I think vinyl decals would look a bit naff on such an old frame - anachronistic.

However, I've not been able to find a satisfactory alternative.

Johnny

Latest posts

Back