Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Fri Feb 26, 2021 7:47 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:23 am 
Newbie

Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:15 am
Posts: 4
Hello everyone, first time poster on this forum after it was recommended to me on Reddit.

I bought a Veneto frame a while back, and have since then completely upgraded it. Having found an interest in retro bike frames, I'm curious now as to the specifications of the frame in order to have all the correct measurements as I love the geometry. However, I can't identify it for the life of me. It does have an inscription (Urkula?? it's pretty faded)

Picture included. Apologies for the bad quality.

The frame was bought second-hand. At the time it was fitted with Mavic CXP 33s, an 8 speed 105 rear mech and 2x 105 front mech, an ultegra crankset, and dura-ace rim brakes. I could be able to send a picture of the groupset if I can find it somewhere, if that's something that would be helpful.

Cheers, and may your rides be filled with sun, smooth tarmac, and tailwinds.


Attachments:
wuy8f3rl19i61.jpg
wuy8f3rl19i61.jpg [ 56.49 KiB | Viewed 146 times ]
Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:27 am 
Retro Guru

Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:19 am
Posts: 2882
Kinda Looks like one of those 2000's Fort frames from the Czech republic. They were semi budget frames, good enough to ride seriously, but probably not to Race.

Not to be confused with today's Fort, which is a more handmade effort.

Not saying it is a Fort, but made in a similar vein/purpose/budget


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:29 am 
Newbie

Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:15 am
Posts: 4
pigman wrote:
Kinda Looks like one of those 2000's Fort frames from the Czech republic. They were semi budget frames, good enough to ride seriously, but probably not to Race.

Not to be confused with today's Fort, which is a more handmade effort.

Not saying it is a Fort, but made in a similar vein/purpose/budget


What makes you say that? Just aesthetics?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:41 pm 
Gold Trader
Gold Trader
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 15, 2007 11:40 am
Posts: 4179
It's what today is known as orbea. Up to the early 00's, orbea marketed their bikes as Zeus in Spain, Orbea in France, and Veneto in Italy. I don't remember why this was, but about 15 years ago they changed and all bikes were know as Orbea, and the Zeus name was used for their own brand components. I can't see the writing, but the fork is exactly the same as one I had on a Zeus frame back in 2002 or thereabouts. I had a few Zeus alloy frames, Columbus altec and airplane tubesets. Decent bikes but two of mine cracked


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:49 pm 
Newbie

Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:15 am
Posts: 4
foz wrote:
It's what today is known as orbea. Up to the early 00's, orbea marketed their bikes as Zeus in Spain, Orbea in France, and Veneto in Italy. I don't remember why this was, but about 15 years ago they changed and all bikes were know as Orbea, and the Zeus name was used for their own brand components. I can't see the writing, but the fork is exactly the same as one I had on a Zeus frame back in 2002 or thereabouts. I had a few Zeus alloy frames, Columbus altec and airplane tubesets. Decent bikes but two of mine cracked


Wow thanks. Using that info I've tracked down this frame https://www.culturevelo.com/Urkiola
Which might be a more modern version of the frame. What do you think?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:57 pm 
Gold Trader
Gold Trader
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 15, 2007 11:40 am
Posts: 4179
That's probably a later version of the same model. The name is the only thing they have in common though. Urkiola is a national park in the Basque country. Orbea often use the same model name for a long time, over many years


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:01 pm 
Newbie

Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:15 am
Posts: 4
foz wrote:
That's probably a later version of the same model. The name is the only thing they have in common though. Urkiola is a national park in the Basque country. Orbea often use the same model name for a long time, over many years


Makes sense. You've been super helpful, thanks


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: RobLoasby and 20 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

About Us

Follow Retrobike

Other cool stuff

All content © 2005-2021 Retrobike unless otherwise stated.
Cookies Policy.
FatCOGS - Fat Chance Owner's Group

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group