Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:16 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 299 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 30  Next
PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 3:55 pm 
rider | rBoTM Winner
rider | rBoTM Winner

Star Rider wrote:
Great thread as I have just taken the plunge into Tubular tyres. Now my first question is tyre size, the rims I have are Mavic MACH 2 CD 2 (32 spoke). The rims measure 18mm wide and i currently appear to have two different tyre sizes fitted. Both French made by Wolber, but no indication of size.
I have looked on the net, but unable to find any size chart.
Perhaps someone with more knowledge could advise please.

All 700c tubulars are the same diameter - but are you talking about width? If you have 18mm rims then you need to be looking for narrow tubulars and I'm not sure these days what is available. In the 'good old days' Wolber, for instance, made 18mm tubulars to fit their 18mm rims. An 'average' 23mm tyre may be a bit wide to stick safely.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 4:12 pm 
Dirt Disciple

Old Ned - thanks for the reply,yes I was talking with respect to tyre width. I do have two 23 mm tyres to hand that I could use, I agree with you that the 23mm width is perhaps to big, where a smaller width tyre would be a better fit based on the rim size.
Have looked on the Mavic website but couldn't find anything relating to rim and tyre size relationships.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 6:01 pm 
Retrobike Sponsor
Retrobike Sponsor

I have 22mm tubs stuck very safely to old wolber narrow rim. 23mm tubs will be no problem. Mavic do not say anything about tub widths as it a non issue.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:07 pm 
Dirt Disciple

bm0p700f, ok that's interesting thanks.
The Tubs I have are Vittoria Rally 23 with the rim width measuring 18mm.
Having just open the packaging to read the fitting instructions
the first line reads " Attention, Before installing the tubular make sure that the rim selected is the proper size for the tubular"
There lies the problem, I have not be able to find any information detailing as to what size tubs can be fitted to an 18mm rim. Presumably the manufacturer has designed the rim to accept a certain size or sizes of tub.
The 23 fits over the rim but just looks a tad big, however I'm new to tubs and not entirely sure as to what to expect.
If I'm "over thinking" and being overly concerned, by all this please feel free to say so. :D

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:16 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

Probably means 650c or 700c

Make sure you glue it properly and you shouldn't have a problem.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 8:59 pm 
Dirt Disciple

Bugloss, thanks for the clarification. Just about to order some glue and have watched plenty of YouTube videos on the subject, so I feel quite prepared for the challenge.
Will let you know how it goes
Really enjoyed reading the opening post, made me laugh. :D

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:52 pm 
Dirt Disciple

Have pumped the tyre to about 40 psi and placed it on the rim to stretch.
First issue I can see, is that the valve section of the tub doesn't seat as well as the rest of the tyre. At the base of the valve there appears to be a fair amount of bulky fabric that doesn't seat neatly in the valve hole of the rim. Not sure if this bulkiness will reduce as the tub stretches.
Looking at the old tub, the base of the valve is very flat and doesn't have this problem.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 10:04 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

Try not to get too bogged down by the science.

My method, first time fit.

Pump up the tub a bit, this will make glueing easy as the tub will try to turn itself belly up.
Glue the rim & glue the tub (do the tub twice letting it dry between coats), hang them up and wait for it to dry (Have a cup of tea or a beer).

Glue the rim again but don't glue the tub. Let the air out of the tub and put in your latex if you use it.
Put the valve in the hole and work outwards from both directions (make sure the valve stays straight). Stand the wheel on the floor and put your foot on it and lift the last bit of the tub onto the rim. If you glue the tub and try to put it on wet you will get glue all over your hands and wheel. If you get glue on the braking surface petrol or lighter fluid will get it off again.(You need to get it off as your brakes will screech)

If the valve cocks off to one side, re-do it as it will stress the valve and also feel like you've got a flat spot on your wheel.

When the tub is on pump it up a bit and straighten it all up. When straight and nice pump it right up hard 120psi and leave it to dry overnight.

If you don't leave it to dry and ride it, especially in the rain, the rear will slip round and cock the valve and it will feel like you've got a flat spot.

If you don't straighten the front tub, you won't be able to do no hands as it will wobble like a beast.

Take a third tub under your seat. I would recommend getting some latex sealer like Stans or Continental and give it a good shake before you put it in.

Once it's all dried up you will have a hell of a time getting the tubs off again. I don't use tape at all, only Continental glue.

It's easy peasy and no brain power is required. I ride mine at 120psi

Iv'e edited a couple of times.

Last edited by bugloss on Sun Oct 13, 2013 10:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 10:06 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

Star Rider wrote:
Have pumped the tyre to about 40 psi and placed it on the rim to stretch.
First issue I can see, is that the valve section of the tub doesn't seat as well as the rest of the tyre. At the base of the valve there appears to be a fair amount of bulky fabric that doesn't seat neatly in the valve hole of the rim. Not sure if this bulkiness will reduce as the tub stretches.
Looking at the old tub, the base of the valve is very flat and doesn't have this problem.

Thats a problem with the cheaper tubs. The expensive race tubs should be flatter. It might flatten out when you pump it right up to 120psi. When you glue it on press that part into the rim.

Pump it up and see, put the full amount of air in it.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 10:50 pm 
Dirt Disciple

bugloss - Thanks very much for your detailed method,looks like you have mastered the art.
With reference to the problem I had with valve not seating correctly I have now solved the problem.
With " great care " using a very sharp blade I carefully removed several mm of fabric from around the base of the valve. The tub now sits neatly against the rim.
Both tyres have now been fitted and pumped up to 100 psi.
Even without the glue,both tyres are very much connected to the rim having tried to remove them by hand.
Will order the glue in the morning for the next stage of the process.
It's been a long day.
To be continued......

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 299 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 30  Next