Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sun Dec 04, 2016 1:09 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 299 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 30  Next
PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 4:13 am 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

Me :cry:

That's why I started to use the latex.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:10 am 
Retro Guru

TGR wrote:
Who does your repairs?

Richard
Since Peter Burgin died a few weeks ago, another business appears to have risen from the ashes.

http://www.tubular-repairs.co.uk/ is the new site, the .com (which was Peter) is now defunct.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:29 am 
Old School Grand Master

Thanks for that. I had seen the other site and wondered.

Richard

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:44 am 
Retro Guru

Yes, was a bit of a shock. I was talking to him earlier that week about sending a batch of tubs in for repair. still seemed bright and cheerful then. :(

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:50 am 
Dirt Disciple

I am using TUFO tubulars (S22 pro) on my road bike. To be puncture resistant I use Tufo sealant "milk" in them. It works well, I don't remember when was my last flat.
When I go out for ride I pick up a spare tubular (Schwalbe Montello) into my pocket and a mini pump. When I get a flat I replace the flatted one with the spare one, without gluing. In this case I have to be a little bit carefully at the corners.
Some years ago I tried several brands of tubulars, Schwalbe (Milano, Montello), Vittoria Rally, and some Italian ones. So far the Tufo is the best, and the most flat-resistant. The Schwalbe was the worst, the small gravels get in the mild rubber and caused several slow flats.
I repair my tubulars for myself, except for the Tufos all of them can be break up, and can be re-sewed. There was a trip with my friend in Slovakia where my spare tubular gets flat on the bike. I had to break up the flatted tubular, patch it, re-sew, and glue it up - on the pavement... At least my friend could relax a bit. :-)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:01 am 
Retro Guru

Tufos may be light and puncture resistant, but they ride like over inflated hosepipes!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:09 am 
Dirt Disciple

mattr wrote:
Tufos may be light and puncture resistant, but they ride like over inflated hosepipes!

I don't agree, it's a matter of taste. I use my Tufos inflated to 9-10 bars, and I like the feeling of the ride.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 4:48 pm 
Old School Hero

Love Tufos as well.
I used to only have them on my race wheels but now I run them on everything as I have been having bad luck with Continentals that I used to swear by.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:32 am 
Devout Dirtbag

Lessons learnt from riding tubs in the 60's/70's:
1. Avoid the real cheapies, they are heavy, don't fit great and are harder to repair
2. Make sure they are properly stuck on, a tub rolling off in a high speed corner is not a pleasant experience!
3. Unpicking and re-stitching for puncture repairs is a real PITA.... personally I stuck to HPs whenever possible

Having said all that tubs and sprints do have an undeniable feel which is special on a road bike...

Oh I forgot...I always carried a spare used and stretched tub folded up under the saddle, punctures were inevitable...

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:58 pm 
rider | rBoTM Winner
rider | rBoTM Winner

I've just found this which may be of use to anyone contemplating tackling a repair. Written by one of the best people to explain the process!

But that was a few years ago :wink:

Attachments:
66tubrepairing.jpg
66tubrepairing.jpg [ 181.37 KiB | Viewed 441 times ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 299 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 30  Next