Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:10 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 299 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 30  Next
PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:48 am 
Retro Guru

Using the proper carbon glue would be better, but if its only for TTs and you aren't likely to use it for general riding up hill and down dale (or down mountain), you should be ok with what you have.
With enough pressure you could probably hold tyres for TTing on with dried snot.......... ;o)

Don't use tape. There have been reports of some of the stronger tapes on some rims pulling strips of carbon out of the rim bed. Which is not good.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:19 am 
Devout Dirtbag

Wow, excellent reading! Thanks all.
Have a pair of tubs almost ready to use. Never tried them before & not sold either of my clincher sets just yet..!!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:03 pm 
Feature Bike
Feature Bike

Been riding tubs (cheapo Vittoria Rallys) for a year or so now on my Andy Powell, and love their smoothness over clinchers. Got my first puncture at the weekend though: nice wee slice through the carcass which I suspect was just down to a sharp bit of road - the backroad surfaces I ride are getting in a shocking state.

I was pleasantly surprised at how fussless the whole thing was: the deflation was drama free; pulling off the old tub just needed a bit of thumb action to snap the glue bond; the spare tub went on without fuss.

Now, I hadn't thought this through in advance, and had no way of sticking the new tub on the rim, so just pumped it and went home gingerly. (I'd brought a small, crap pump that fitted in my jersey and it gave up at about 50 psi which didn't help - yet it was still rideable.)

So - do I chuck out the punctured tub and buy another? Oh no - bit of googling and two cups of tea later and I've fixed the puncture - it's really not that hard. Pull off the tape; un pick the thread; patch the tube; sew it back up; glue down the tape; glue the cut carcass. Smashing.

Lessons learned:

Buy some better tubs: 24mm 360 tpi Paves please.
Carry some tub tape to help the repair.
Get a better pump: co2 regulator on its way.
Carry more spares? For longer rides, why not: reckon I could strap 2 under the saddle, although bandolier style appeals....

Go tubs.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:14 pm 
Old School Grand Master

Hi Doc,

What do you reckon to tubs on the Rossin? Choice of rims - Mavis GP4's, Oro;s or Ambrosio Nemesis - all NOS.

I am still pondering about the clour scheme but wheels have to be decided as well.

Richard

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:30 pm 
Feature Bike
Feature Bike

Deffo tubs. I'd go for Nemesis: light enough and strong. With it's muscular BB shell and fork crown the Rossin has a Spring classic air, and they would set it off sweetly. Also good if your roads are anything like the ones round here.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:45 pm 
Old School Grand Master

Doc,

My roads need a MTB! And i am not joking, i have to agree with your choice - really the question should have been GP4 vs Nemesis; the Oro's are not really appropriate.

Thanks,

Richard

p.s. i have 'practice rims' to try before the NOS ones get used - and i am getting impatient that i cannot use them at the moment

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:19 am 
Devout Dirtbag

Well, my 2nd-hand wheels have tubs already glued on with plenty of life left in them - hopefully will be a while before I have to worry about sticking new ones on...
Question is: what does anyone here take out on rides? Spare pre-stretched/pre-glued tub & then glue properly back home? Or just a compressed-air/latex mix?
Watched the YouTube vid (really good) - seems the latex should work for most punctures. That's the same combo that's replaced the spare wheel for my car after all.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:55 pm 
Old School Grand Master

Newman8 wrote:
Well, my 2nd-hand wheels have tubs already glued on with plenty of life left in them - hopefully will be a while before I have to worry about sticking new ones on...
Question is: what does anyone here take out on rides? Spare pre-stretched/pre-glued tub & then glue properly back home? Or just a compressed-air/latex mix?
Watched the YouTube vid (really good) - seems the latex should work for most punctures. That's the same combo that's replaced the spare wheel for my car after all.

Pit Stop for me. Oh, and a mobile phone. I have got a couple of Vitorria Rally tyres onto a set of spare rims and pumped up so they can stretch a bit.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:17 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

Newman8 wrote:

I carry a spare with tape on it and money for an ice cream just incase I get two flats in one ride and I have to wait a bit for the support car to arrive.

Here in flinty central, two flats on one ride are a distinct possibility and I'm looking at some of that gooey sealy stuff. Any recommendations?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:44 pm 
Devout Dirtbag

Liking the ice cream idea!
I got a can of vittoria pitstop & a little co2 inflator too. Easy to carry but had no call to use it so can't comment further.
I'm seriously considering investing in a mobile telecommunication device too. I believe one can get pay as you go tokens to use in emergencies.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 299 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 30  Next