Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Fri Dec 09, 2016 5:05 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 299 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 30  Next
PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:23 am 
Retro Guru

Other than good fitting technique you could try trimming the tape round the valve, countersinking the rim bed round the valve hole or buying better tubs.

Some or all of these may or may not work. (its all a bit hit and miss!)

Last edited by mattr on Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:55 pm 
Retrobike Sponsor
Retrobike Sponsor

I have given up on cheap tubs, they are horrid compared to a conti gator skin. The Pave tyres I now have mount so much easier as well.

Stretching a tub by hanging weight is not advised for some reason. Stretching on a rim at high pressure is the prefered method.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:16 pm 
Retro Guru

bm0p700f wrote:
I have given up on cheap tubs, they are horrid compared to a conti gator skin.
Thats going a bit far!! Gatorskins are bloody horrible!

Top Tip is to regularly have a look at planet-x clearance corner, you can usually find some top end tubs from 2 or 3 years ago for half price, or less.
And TBH, technology in tubulars (and top end road tyres) doesn't actually move on that fast. Last years good tyres are pretty much as good as this years. (or the same)

FWIW I got 4 2009 model road tyres for £80 last year. Only difference to the 2010/2011/2012 model is the box and the sticker. Retail is (still) £70. Wish i'd bought more of them!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:01 pm 
Retrobike Sponsor
Retrobike Sponsor

I agree that how horible I think the Giro's are. I do buy tubs a trade price at least which makes them cheaper so Pave tyres are not so dear. I am hoping that these will be even nicer to ride on.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:30 pm 
Old School Grand Master

Thanks for the advice. I removed old glue from a set of rims i have (petrol worked best) but it was really old and hard. I did read somewhere that it is best to reapply new glue over old as the chemicals in the new glue will cause the old glue to become sticky again. Presumably the old glue would be newer than mine!

Richard

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:15 pm 
MacRetro rider
MacRetro rider

I gave mine a scrub last night with isopropyl alcohol and a kitchen scourer to remove the worst of the crusty old glue. Still some remnants left but they went tacky with the alcohol so should be fine. Hope they're not too tacky though as I've fitted a set of tubs to stretch.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:11 pm 
Retro Guru

Another tip to add to this excellent thread - I've just found out by pure luck that using 'panel wipe' is fantastic at removing excess old glue & any new glue that happens to get onto the rim and sidewall during installation of the new tub. Panel wipe is the stuff used at spray-painters to clean bare metal prior to primer.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 6:51 pm 
Retrobike Sponsor
Retrobike Sponsor

I have used brake cleaner before still it took some time.

Tried Vittoria Pave tyres for the first time today 24mm on the front and 27 on the rear (25.5mm actually). 126 miles which is the longest ride I have ever done and my how nice the ride is with those. Also loving ambrosio tubular rims (nemesis) they look so good.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:46 pm 
Old School Grand Master

Interesting about the Nemesis rims - i have a NOS pair in the attic - which hubs did you run with them? What can you compare them to?

Richard

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:34 pm 
Retrobike Sponsor
Retrobike Sponsor

Well as the bike has a complete dura ae 7402/3 groupset the hubs are 7403. The front is 32H and the rear is 36H and so are the rims of course. The spokes are thin gauge Sapim Laser and I set the pads close to the rim and even when climbing out of the saddle no movement in the rim at all.

I build alot of wheels and these ambrosio rims are of the same quality as DT Swiss and H plus sons. I quite like the shallow profile. The H plus son TB14 is regarded as a clincher copy of the Nemesis but does not build into a stiff wheel even with thicker race spokes. The Nemesis rims even when sideloading to remove what little spoke wind up I had (when building) felt latterally stiff. Damm good rims, also the tension on each side is near perfectly even <100N variation and lateral trueness is <0.1mm, radial trueness ~0.2mm and it has stayed that way after those 126 miles. Simply one of the best rims I have ever built with.

Also maybe the shallow profile of the rims helped the ride which was very smooth.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 299 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 30  Next