Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sat Sep 24, 2016 9:54 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 294 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 30  Next
PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:18 pm 
Retro Guru

Depends what the roads near you are made of, and what sort of rubbish is in the fields nearby (and gets washed onto the roads).

I know where I am it's all granite or flint, which smashes up to give very sharp edges. So I either ride shit tyres and throw them away when they get cut up, or expensive tyres, and do the same. As far as I know, the typical road in the belgian classics is mud and cobbles. No sharp bits.

FWIW I've destroyed a pair of tyres in one race before. Very "grippy" surface, lots of gravelly corners. The tyre was cut through to the carcase in a dozen places on each tyre, and it'd gone furry with all the pulled threads. £80 for one race, only got £40 for winning the bloody thing.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 6:36 pm 
Old School Grand Master

I bought a few used tubs this week and on the basis of Pekka's post checked the Vittorias and it appears i have the same knicks in mine too. The tyres came from a guy in London and he reckoned they had done under 100 miles. Here are pics -

Richard

p.s. the Audi in the background may be for sale shortly!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:29 am 
Retrobike Sponsor
Retrobike Sponsor

A tub habit is an expensive one. Got shown how to repair them on Friday. Sice Pave's are expensive I will have to give it a go. Not into buying second hand tubs. A bit of a lottery.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:33 am 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

TGR wrote:
I bought a few used tubs this week and on the basis of Pekka's post checked the Vittorias and it appears i have the same knicks in mine too. The tyres came from a guy in London and he reckoned they had done under 100 miles. Here are pics -

Richard

I would just let them down until soft,and drop a little super glue in there and push it back together,i have ridden much worse than that :D

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:14 am 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

That's classed as a minor cosmetic blemish, Richard

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:28 am 
Dirt Disciple

matthew71 wrote:
TGR wrote:

Richard

I would just let them down until soft,and drop a little super glue in there and push it back together,i have ridden much worse than that :D

Yip, matthew71's right - could even stick in a donor sliver then supaglue. It's not a bad idea either to wipe down both tyres post-ride with a damp cloth then check for 'flints' when dry.

Re Audi: miss the old 1989 80 2.0l. With some sticky tyres could plant it into some corners and then some (kinda :roll: ), unlike some other rwd 2.8l marques :facepalm: .

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:49 am 
Retro Guru

Lightweight race tubs in "not suitable for training" shocka!
:facepalm:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:31 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

mattr wrote:
Lightweight race tubs in "not suitable for training" shocka!
:facepalm:

:shock: :shock:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 4:42 am 
Old School Grand Master

Good morning tub fans,

As per a post above, i recently bought some used and some new tubs, one of them gives info about pressures etc on both sides of the tyre. I was interested to see that it said it could be used as a clincher at a lower pressure on one side and gave the stuck on pressure on the other. A couple of questions to those who are more knowledgable -
Is this normal?
Is it only this particular tub that this can be done with?

Apologies that i cannot remember which tyre it was but i am guessing it is the Corsa Evo above or a very similar Corsa tyre.

Thanks,

Richard

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:23 am 
Retro Guru

I think tufo did some clincher/tub hybrids with a special base to allow tubs on clincher rims. They weren't up to much. http://www.tufo.com/tubular-clinchers/
Don't think anyone else has used that particular idea.

With the Vittorias, all i can think of is that they've used the same carcase on a tubular and open tubular (posh clincher) and doubled up on the labelling, clincher one side, tubular the other. If its a tub, you can only use it as a tub cos other than tufos attempts as above, there isn't any way to use a tub on a clincher rim (or vice versa).

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 294 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 30  Next