Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sun Sep 25, 2016 6:24 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 294 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 30  Next
PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:46 pm 
Retro Guru

I've been hoarding a some old tubs for a few years now and I've decided I'm going to use them before they turn to dust! So I've been commuting (in dry weather) on these:

Front wheel - Mavic CX 18 on Record hubs with Vittoria Corsa CG, 28 spokes 3 cross.
Attachment:
corsa-cg.jpg
corsa-cg.jpg [ 85.23 KiB | Viewed 211 times ]

Attachment:
cx18.jpg
cx18.jpg [ 96.83 KiB | Viewed 211 times ]

Attachment:
kbird.jpg
kbird.jpg [ 85.93 KiB | Viewed 211 times ]

Somebody upthread were worried about using normal width tubs on narrow rims, I haven't had any problems, so far! When I got this rim the anodising was unmarked, but of course it looks awful as you use the rim, but luckily I've got another umarked one as a back up.

Back wheel, Mavix GEL280 on Record hubs, 28 spokes.
Attachment:
gel280.jpg
gel280.jpg [ 150.08 KiB | Viewed 211 times ]

I did have Vittoria Corsa CX (newer Made in Thailand model) but it got a puncture (I think the latex tube popped through a cut in the tread, at least I know where the hole is) and I'm using a crappy looking Conti Sprinter at the moment.

Oh and I carry a Vittoria Olympico as a spare.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 4:26 pm 
Retro Guru

anyone remember using Shellac to fit tubs on ?????

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:05 pm 
Retro Guru

I thought shellac was only used for track racing.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 4:22 pm 
Old School Grand Master
Old School Grand Master

TGR wrote:
Star Rider

Regarding this - "With reference to the problem I had with valve not seating correctly I have now solved the problem.
With " great care " using a very sharp blade I carefully removed several mm of fabric from around the base of the valve. The tub now sits neatly against the rim."

Could you give me a bit more info - how deep did you go and how much? I am presuming when you say 'several mm' that is not depth. I have a set of rallys and mine sit high at the valve too.

Richard

Zip tie them and then inflate .

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:46 pm 
Old School Grand Master

Chris - could you explain?

Thanks,

Richard

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 4:30 pm 
Old School Hero

I've posted in here before always praising the tubular tyre and also the ease of using tape. However, I have now suffered a tub/tape nightmare and might now even consider clinchers for winter riding.....

Sunday was particularly wet, with lots of deep puddles spanning the roads I was riding on. After splashing through maybe 4 or 5 puddles, the tape on my rear wheel lost virtually all grip and the tub slipped round the rim, causing the tyre to bulge just after the valve and eventually rubbing the underside of the Delta brake.

I had a similar problem in severe heat on Mt Ventoux a few years ago when the tape was softened by the heat. Front wheel is not an issue, just turn the wheel round if it slips under braking, it's mostly the force applied through the rear wheel when riding uphill that causes the problem it seems.

I'm going to try Tufo tape on the rear wheel, or perhaps glue, to try and avoid any future problems. Has anyone had similar wet riding problems and has a way to avoid it? How do cross riders manage in such wet conditions?
Richie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 5:45 pm 
Retrobike Sponsor
Retrobike Sponsor

I have to say I only use tape when putting conti sprinters on. These tubs are so tight I don't think they any adhesive. With the Pave tyre I am using at present they are a much looser fit so I glue those. They are also easier to mount so glue does not end up everywhere.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:10 pm 
Retro Guru

If you are riding Cyclo X would not recommend using tub tape..The water tends to get under the tape and the rim..
I always use the 'Belgian' method of sticking tubs on and have done for the past 50 years without any problems..

1 fit the tubs onto a rim to stretch them for 24 hours.
2 Coat the rim and the tubular after cleaning with a solvent, leave for 24 hours.
3 fit the tub to the rim, pump up soft and centralize on the rim, starting at the valve lift approx 6 inches of the tub and move to one side, apply glue to the exposed rim. carry on all around the rim and recentralize the tub till true on the rim... clean off any surplus glue with a rag soaked in petrol (not 2 stroke), Pump up to 80 psi and leave for 24 hours before use..

if the glue is a bit thick add some petrol to thin it down ..

always check tubs if you have been riding in the rain/wet cross courses..

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:37 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

bigfatron wrote:
I've posted in here before always praising the tubular tyre and also the ease of using tape. However, I have now suffered a tub/tape nightmare and might now even consider clinchers for winter riding.....

Sunday was particularly wet, with lots of deep puddles spanning the roads I was riding on. After splashing through maybe 4 or 5 puddles, the tape on my rear wheel lost virtually all grip and the tub slipped round the rim, causing the tyre to bulge just after the valve and eventually rubbing the underside of the Delta brake.

I had a similar problem in severe heat on Mt Ventoux a few years ago when the tape was softened by the heat. Front wheel is not an issue, just turn the wheel round if it slips under braking, it's mostly the force applied through the rear wheel when riding uphill that causes the problem it seems.

I'm going to try Tufo tape on the rear wheel, or perhaps glue, to try and avoid any future problems. Has anyone had similar wet riding problems and has a way to avoid it? How do cross riders manage in such wet conditions?
Richie

Glue.

Last edited by bugloss on Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:55 pm 
Retro Guru

Forgot to add

watch out when using power washers to clean bikes with tubs..

water comes out of power washers anywhere between 500 and 2000 psi, and cross tubs are now running at under 30 psi so u can imagine how easy to blast the water under the tubs..

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 294 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 30  Next