What sort of cassete on Original Raleigh Record Sprint hubs

lingo75

Retro Newbie
Hi Chaps,
Things have changed since i was fetling my old Raleigh Winner, Burner and Maverick in the 80's! I have just aquired a nice Record sprint and would like to add some more gears so i can keep up with my modern mates - looking around it seems there are "screw on" and other types of fitment. What would i need on mine please??

tar
Dan

Re: What sort of cassete on Original Raleigh Record Sprint h

most likely a 6 speed screw on cassette - I would check in at a good bike shop first, one that is happy to fix rather than obsessing over new new new.

Thanks for reply - its already got a 6 speed on it, so want to go up to 8 - so screw on is the way then...?

lingo75":2zlz3odt said:
Thanks for reply - its already got a 6 speed on it, so want to go up to 8 - so screw on is the way then...?

No - rear end of the bike is too narrow and the existing hub will be too wide. You would be better off buying a new set of wheels with a cassette freehub and go from there - you could go 9spd with a change of shifter and rear mech (most Shimano rear mechs will work with 6/7/8/9spd indexed shifters and matching cassette)

Depending on budget...

Have a good read of this site: http://www.sheldonbrown.com/ hours of reading there that will help with what you want to do.

AH ok - bugger! Thanks very much for the info :)

The other option is to buy a 6 speed freewheel with a wider range.

7 speeds will fit on quite easily, i use the shimano tourney 12-28 on one of my bikes. i usually find that 6 speeds are not enough.

if yours has the later 130mm rear dropouts then a 8 speed screw-on will fit fine (i know because i have Sachs 12-23 on a late 80's (or early 90's) raleigh eclipse with the reynolds 501 frame.

Back