1932 Sunbeam Road Racer.

epicyclo

Senior Retro Guru
I'm looking for new lightweight tyres - 26x1 1/4" and no idea where to find them.

Any ideas?

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Raleigh still do a rather nice 26x 1 1/4 all black tyre , try your LBS . Recently aquired a Sunbeam as well , a 1935/6 Sunbeam Silver Light Roadster 3 speed S/A K type gears and original carrier .

Well would you believe it, there's an hidden underground of pre war cycle enthusiasts on RetroBike, good for you, keep the preservation work up. I've been surprised with the engineering of some of the older bikes, nothing much has changed, just materials and fashion. Terry

OldTel":2q59etgh said:
Hi, nice old bike ( any piccies ), I've just got hold of a 1924 all black royal to restore, looking forward to the struggle....

Thanks for the link.

I should have checked there first. I'm probably on that site at least every week.

Great bike, Sunbeam were just about in liquidation, and having to reduce prices. When did BSA take them on? Pre BSA was better.
I don't remember any 26 x 1 1/4 tyres that I would call light, but I suppose it's relative. I thought a 10 ounce tubular was heavy.
I had a 1931 Marston Sunbeam 3 litre (in 1970), some of the engineering was better than Rolls Royce. They were trying to sell cars at £1000 in 1930 when the market wanted £100. Should I have used an invisible font for that?

Just saw the pic, lovely condition, by 1930 commercial chrome plate was just starting, so allowable by 1932.
Keith

Nice example, a good cross section of sunbeams can be found at http://sunbeammuseum.wordpress.com/welc ... le-museum/ The 'marston' sunbeams ( late 19th century thru to 1920's ) set there reputation, the engineering was stunning for the age, two speed gearing built into the crank was introduced in 1903, and in 1906 they coupled it with a three speed hub to create a six speed, but all this did come at an expense. The history of Sunbeam is worth having a look into, it sums up the british peak and decline in engineering. Terry

Attachments

• two speed (2).jpg
    two speed (2).jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 562
keithglos":18a68z0c said:
Great bike, Sunbeam were just about in liquidation, and having to reduce prices. When did BSA take them on? ...
Keith

AMC bought them in the mid 30s. That's why I wanted an earlier model which was still a Marston Sunbeam. BSA took them on after the war.

Back