1989 Handbuilt Raleigh Elix with Biopace Gearset

Monty1967

Retro Newbie
I have a 1989 Handbuilt Raleigh Elix which I have owned from new.

Would this bike be classed as a "Classic" bike and is anyone interested in making me an offer?

The bike is a little tired but all original.

Many thanks

Monty

if its the Elix with the reynolds 531 frame, then it is a pretty good bike and its a nice classic.

There was one went on ebay for £70 back in march, see below:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Raleigh-Elix- ... 4d0a65f8dc

retro bike values are seasonal, they go cheap in the autumn and winter, and expensive in the spring/summer. since the sun finally came out in the spring i've noticed raleigh 531's are fetching alot more than they were in the winter.

you would have more luck selling it on here if you posted it in the for sale forum, and give some indication of your location, and some photo's of the bike.

on ebay they tend to fetch more money than on bike forum classifieds, but then there are ebay/paypal fees to consider.

i have a late 80's raleigh that i've had from new. i went off cycling for a decade or so but i always kept hold of the bike in case my interest ever resumed. eventually i got a job where i needed to use a bike and train, which got me back into cycling in a big way, and i am SO glad i never sold the bike. having the same bike i always used as a teenager - that feeling and the memories just cannot be replaced! especially for the measly £100-150 i might have got if i had sold it....

another thing to consider is if you wanted to buy a modern bike with the same weight equivalent as an 80's 531, you'd be looking at £400-500 (second hand). This is another reason i stick with retro's, i dont see the point in paying over £500 for something with only 2 wheels and no engine or aircon.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Re: elix

Hi monty, i had the cheaper alternative to this as a teenager-the strada, cannot find one for love nor money!
I would be interested....depends on your location and what price you have in mind?
Kind regards
Matt

Back