Colnago Sport - date and authenticity

Lars

Retro Newbie
Hi there.

I am looking at a Colnago Sport.
The current owner does not know the age.

Pictures here: http://lars.so/colnago.png

Can you spot how old it is?

Also through my research I have found out that there are fake Colnagos out there. And some of the Colnagos aren't even real racing bikes, but department store bikes with a racing look.

Is this particular bike real? And is it a real racing bike?

All help and inputs are appreciated!

Kind regards,
Lars

No takers?

I'm no expert on Colnagos..I've no idea if that is a genuine Colnago or not-but if it is it must have been towards the bottom of their range. Could indeed be some sort of 'department store bike', as you say. Looks a decent enough frame with road racing geometry, nice lugs and forged ends. Check the seatpost diameter to get an idea of the quality of frame tubing used. Components suggest mid-80s- Campag. gearing, Modolo brakes, Gipiemme chainset all perhaps towards the budget end of things, but functional.

Altogether in terms of quality, maybe sort of 'the bottom of the top', or maybe 'the top of the bottom' if you see what I mean...

We need a Colnago expert :)

All I know is they are one of the most 'faked' bikes on the market, so you are doing the right thing in being cautious.

Did Colnago's ever have 3 cable guides along the top tube..........I thought that they only ever used 2 ? Is ColnagoKid one of the people in the know?

Shaun

Colnago Sport was an entry level model, as noted above. I think it is unlikely someone would try and fake a Sport as they are not a model that sells for big money. Plus that particular bike just looks original to me, with patina and component choice etc.

To me, it seems odd to have cut the downtube decal around the bottle boss? That looks a bit amateur for Colnago.

The Sport did have three cable lugs but it also had a chromed DS chainstay so if this is real then it's been to the painters. Best thing to do is look through Google images for 'colnago sport frame' and see if you can marry some pictures up. Giveaways are rear dropouts and the two slots on the underside of the BB.

Latest posts

Back