Dura Ace AX cassette woes

milko

Kona Fan
Feedback
View
I posted about this quite some time ago but not really used the bike much so it fell from mind.

The issue is that every now and again the cassette does not engage and just spins. The AX hub had the set up where the bottom sprocket acted as the lockring, but even with the required 2 chain-whips and the LBS biggest spanner monkey on the case NOTHING. :(
So the question is is there a way of dealing with this without removing the cassette?

Sounds like it could be. Whip off the cassette body pump it full of WD40 then again with liquid grease. If that don't fix it I'd look into relaxing it....

Remove the axle and using a 10mm (?) Allen key remove the whole cassette body, including the cassette.

OK so things have now gone from bad to worse, this is a pic of the same style freehub as mine note the notches in the bearing race
freehu1.jpg
there is a discontinued tool to remove the race which slits into the notches and unscrews it (clockwise) with the tool obviously not at my disposal I manufactured one using a piece of steel cut to the right dimensions, i then clamped it into a vice and tried to unscrew it however it has broken off the lip on both sides. I would really like to salvage this hub but this is looking less and less likely. Any idea how I can get this thing out now?

Cheers, but its a 7. I am gutted because these are a smashing set of wheels and I cant understand why the freehub + cassette is not just sliding off that way I could just replace the whole (freehub + cassette) thing without having to scrap the hub. Am I missing something?

Back