Mavic 840 with Campagnolo

Cooker

Devout Dirtbag
Hi all,
I want to keep my new bike build all MAVIC but seeing as MAVIC never made brifters I have to resort to another brand. Being a euro lover the only alternative is Campag shifters.
I was wondering if a Mavic 840 indexing rear Mech will work with 10s Campagnolo shifters?
If not, why?
If it won't work with the newer 10S will it work with older Campag 8/9S shifters?

Cheers

Based on personal experience using 8sp cassettes with Shimano spacing, the Mavic 840 derailleur will work very well with 10-speed Campag Ergo levers.

David

I will be using a 10speed cassette campag spacing, with 10s Campag shifters.
Will the 840 rear mech work ok?
Parallelogram angles etc etc

How come a cassette with shimano spacing works when your using Campag shifters?

Cooker":2twd7k5o said:
How come a cassette with shimano spacing works when your using Campag shifters?

It's to do with the amount of cable pull per click compared to how far the mech moves - just so happens that 10s Campag will index a Shimano 8s system (I think there are some useful snippets on the CTC's website about this, pretty sure - as you might expect - that Sheldon Brown compiled something for his site too). Likewise 9s Campag and 7s Shimano, which I have on my touring bike. This came about in my case because I like the look and action of Ergo levers, not a big fan of Shimano STI levers. On the other hand, Shimano-compatible cassettes and hubs seem easier and cheaper to source so I mixed and matched!

David

Back