trying to date and identify my Carlton

grindleclough

Retro Newbie
Hi all

After years in the shed I've finally decided to give my old chrome framed Carlton some TLC and convert it to a single speed. I've had the bike since I was a teenager – my brother gave it me round about 1976/7 and he bought it 2nd hand a few years before that - so date wise I reckon it is probably late 60s or early 70s. There are a couple of, I think, original parts which might help date it – Weinmann 999 centre-pulls and a Brooks B15 saddle. I've looked at old Carlton catalogues and my best guess from the parts, geometry and pump mounts is that it's a Cobra. There are two numbers stamped under the bottom bracket - 2560662 and X4154. The lugs are pretty plain so I'm guessing that puts it more 70s than 60s?? Also surprised by the seat post diameter which my callipers tell me is 25mm??

Any thoughts, contrary opinions or advice would be very welcome. I've posted some pics.

Attachments

• photo-1.JPG
    photo-1.JPG
    146.2 KB · Views: 719
  • photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    187.2 KB · Views: 719
  • photo-1.JPG
    photo-1.JPG
    146.2 KB · Views: 719
  • photo-2.JPG
    photo-2.JPG
    108.7 KB · Views: 719
Nice :D

Digits only for the number is 1968-72 ..........certainly not a Cobra as I had one, the Cobra had Crespera Lugs. The number with a X looks a bit hit and miss and not factory like but may be wrong. Carlton didn't have any numbers with an X IIRC.

Any pics of the rear stays where they join the seat tube? Truwell tubing most likely.

Carlton were always proud of their chrome, plated on Copper so they said :D

Shaun

Shaun

No mistaking that for anything other than a Carlton. The Cobra arrived 1973 I think and would have the standard "W" prefix number, and the Crespera lugs. I'll have a think :) Pound to a penny it begins with a "C" or a "K" :)

Spokesmann would be more help than me here, He probably has one :D

Shaun

The reason I thought it was a Cobra was this Carlton catalogue from 68/69 so must have arrived pre 73 - though take your point about the lugs :)

Attachments

• carlton_cat68.jpg
    carlton_cat68.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 692
will always be a certain level of ambiguity that we all live with, I had an old one that has long since gone but that also had a 25mm seat post so not that unusual, I agree with Shaun, definitely a Carlton, and Spokesmann is your best bet

Ah! Never seen that catalogue. Nice find :)

Certainly shows a Cobra and definitely all chrome......

Have you got the forks?

Shaun

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=211540

Might well be a Continental deprived of it's Acrylichrome finish :)

This was a Carlton specialty......Chrome painted over with a lacquer to give a very nice finish....copied later by our continental colleagues.

Shaun

Midlife":1cfcv5qy said:
http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=211540

Might well be a Continental deprived of it's Acrylichrome finish :)

This was a Carlton specialty......Chrome painted over with a lacquer to give a very nice finish....copied later by our continental colleagues.

Shaun

Lovely, but not very hard wearing.

Latest posts

Back