Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sat Dec 10, 2016 4:14 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Ugly Modern bikes
PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 3:14 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:08 am
Posts: 6852
Location: Nth Somerset, UK
My son is of the opinion that you can never have too much black on a bike.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ugly Modern bikes
PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 3:20 pm 
Old School Grand Master
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2007 2:04 pm
Posts: 3364
Location: Completely in the dark, thanks to me good mate Terry....
NeilM wrote:
My son is of the opinion that you can never have too much black on a bike.


Cue Spinal Tap "none more black" reference. Possibly involving a modern Campag gruppo that goes up to 11. ;)

David


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ugly Modern bikes
PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 3:51 pm 
Retro Guru
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 03, 2012 7:13 pm
Posts: 2574
Location: The Cock Inn, Tillett, Herts
NeilM wrote:
My son is of the opinion that you can never have too much black on a bike.

Obviously a Black Sabbath fan and keeps a pet raven ;)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ugly Modern bikes
PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 3:55 pm 
Retro Guru

Joined: Tue Dec 21, 2010 6:31 pm
Posts: 1112
Chopper1192 wrote:
NeilM wrote:
My son is of the opinion that you can never have too much black on a bike.

Obviously a Black Sabbath fan and keeps a pet raven ;)


I always liked Disraeli Gears anecdote about the mania for painting stuff black: apparently it stems from the Vietnam War when photographers would paint their gear black to avoid spotted by the Viet Cong. This expanded to the idea that 'serious' photographers should have black gear, then outwards to other electronics and eventually bike parts too.

No idea if this is true or not, but a nice story if it is.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ugly Modern bikes
PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 4:25 pm 
Gold Trader | rBoTM Winner
Gold Trader | rBoTM Winner
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:30 am
Posts: 2389
Location: London
Kerplunk wrote:
There's definitely something aethetically awry in the headtube/stem in the current crop of bikes. The Trek Madone 7.9 is a prime example of it. An oversize stem looks tiny and badly out of proportion against the very fat headtube. Even the forks look like they don't fit against the headtube properly. But as has been previously said its worse amongst the pure race bikes. I think modern F1 cars are ugly too but i won't be taking one of them around either. Don't know if there's ever been a proper study into it be don't we all just have a golden age (teens to early 20s) at which we form most responsive to our environment. I know my main views on whats good or bad in music, cars and bikes to name three were formed at that time and don't really change that much.


Pretty much nailed the whole debate with this excellt post.

A question, why do bike makers insist upon A Head system for higher end stuff?
Performance or looks?
It's inferior to threaded quill in my opinion.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ugly Modern bikes
PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 4:53 pm 
Old School Grand Master
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2007 2:04 pm
Posts: 3364
Location: Completely in the dark, thanks to me good mate Terry....
ibbz wrote:
Kerplunk wrote:
There's definitely something aethetically awry in the headtube/stem in the current crop of bikes. The Trek Madone 7.9 is a prime example of it. An oversize stem looks tiny and badly out of proportion against the very fat headtube. Even the forks look like they don't fit against the headtube properly. But as has been previously said its worse amongst the pure race bikes. I think modern F1 cars are ugly too but i won't be taking one of them around either. Don't know if there's ever been a proper study into it be don't we all just have a golden age (teens to early 20s) at which we form most responsive to our environment. I know my main views on whats good or bad in music, cars and bikes to name three were formed at that time and don't really change that much.


Pretty much nailed the whole debate with this excellt post.

A question, why do bike makers insist upon A Head system for higher end stuff?
Performance or looks?
It's inferior to threaded quill in my opinion.


It does allow the use of carbon steerer tubes to shave some weight off, likewise if using a steel or alloy steerer the problem of a threaded portion constituting a stress riser (Alan and Vitus threaded alloy fork columns are known to bulge if the quill is over-tightened, and I have had a Holdsworth steel fork fracture across the headset thread in the past) is overcome.

6 of one & half a dozen of another though, I guess, as clamping the stem to the steerer plus the use of star-fangled nuts in threadless systems raises another set of structural stress issues.

David


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ugly Modern bikes
PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 10:09 am 
Retro Guru

Joined: Wed May 27, 2009 10:41 am
Posts: 638
Chopper1192 wrote:
To me form follows function - something that is high performance because if design and engineering is beautiful to my eye.

Yep, I agree with that to some extent. I can admire the 'science' (for want of a better word) involved in the design and engineering but they just don't stir my soul. In the same way I prefer an old E-Type Jag to the new F-Type.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ugly Modern bikes
PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 12:28 pm 
Gold Trader
Gold Trader
User avatar

Joined: Fri Aug 20, 2010 11:28 am
Posts: 5652
Location: Gorleston-on-sea (If there is a bright center to the universe this is place furthest from it
I tend to find that a lot of new 'plastic' (lets call it what it is) road bikes are soulless and leave me feeling cold :(

Here is a £3699 example :facepalm:


Attachments:
Ugly fuji.jpg
Ugly fuji.jpg [ 229.33 KiB | Viewed 250 times ]
Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ugly Modern bikes
PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 11:31 pm 
Retro Guru

Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:59 pm
Posts: 349
Location: Chez Vegas, Derbyshire
I think there are some potential carbon design classics o ut there such as the Pinarello Dogma and Cervelo S5,

I can't be doing with some of the cheaper olastic bikes that have obviously come out of the same mould in China and have been rebranded - they are just so boring to look at.

There is some interesting new steel bikes out there. I think this is maybe a result of folks who are new to bikes have got bored of their carbon ' first road bike' and fancy something different,


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ugly Modern bikes
PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 9:04 am 
Old School Grand Master
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2007 2:04 pm
Posts: 3364
Location: Completely in the dark, thanks to me good mate Terry....
vivelesalpes wrote:
There is some interesting new steel bikes out there. I think this is maybe a result of folks who are new to bikes have got bored of their carbon ' first road bike' and fancy something different,


Don't know if anyone watched the Durham round of the Tour Series crit races on ITV4 last night, but Rapha-Condor-JLT have taken a leaf out of the Madison-Genesis book and adopted steel Condors (albeit with carbon rear triangle) for city-centre racing. Dunno what tubeset they are built with but I suspect Dedacciai or Reynolds.

David


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Frizzaldo, mr_gumby, old_coyote_pedaller and 22 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

About Us

Follow Retrobike

Other cool stuff

All content © 2005-2015 Retrobike unless otherwise stated.
Cookies Policy.
bikedeals - the best bike deals in one place
FatCOGS - Fat Chance Owner's Group

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group