Restoring a mid-1990's Italian Bike...

Seweryn

Dirt Disciple
Hi Guys,

I am new here and first of all would like to say hallo to All ;) .

I recently purchased a classic steel bike and now trying to bring it back to proper shape and have a few queries.

Square Tapper BB - the BB housing is 70mm and the spindle is approximately 113mm wide. The crankset and the groupset in general is Shimano 600 (cranks are the Biopace type, but makes no difference, I assume - just bought them to replace the standard 600 that was on the bike, as the rings were on their last legs). I want to get a new BB set, an 8 speed cassette, chain and the jockey wheels. Regarding the bottom bracket - will Shimano BB-UN55 be the right choice here and will it fit if the right size is bought? I am not fully familiar with the ST BB system and there are so many systems out there so I want to make sure I get the right one.

Another detail - the caps that cover the BB spindle bolts - can they be bought separately?

Rear mechanism jockey wheels - where would you get a new good quality set of these?

The headset bearings would benefit with replacement also. The set is the Campagnolo Chorus from mid or late 1990's. Where to find a new set?

I though the cassette should probably the easiest part. I tried to remove it, but there must be a special tool needed, not same one as for say a 10-speed cassette. The old cassette is made by Sachs, but I need a new one. Which one should I get? Photo of the cassette below:

8739285440_68a85f6c50_z.jpg

I would like to remove the cassette, replace it and possibly replace / adjust the bearings. There is a good bit of play on the bearings and the grease is coming out of the axle. The bike was badly maintained.

I would really like to get this bike on the road soon. I got it stripped out to pieces and I am checking every component if needs to be replaced or just re-greased and re-assembled.

Thank you for any advice.

Looks like you'll need two chainwhips. One round the smallest gear, one round any of the others, and unscrew the smallest gear like you would the lockring.

EDIT: that is, assuming it's a cassette and not a freewheel.

Joe of Loath":31dn6ahe said:
Looks like you'll need two chainwhips. One round the smallest gear, one round any of the others, and unscrew the smallest gear like you would the lockring.
Hi Joe,

Thank you for that... You learn something every day :eek: .

That's a freewheel, not a cassette... you need the right tool (I can't remember which one it is right now). If you have a friendly LBS then they should have the correct tool. crank caps, jockey wheels, headset berarings... all could be found at a decent LBS, or online, or here on RB :)

The UN55 is a good choice - just make sure you get the right one - italian threaded (70mm shell width) and 113mm spindle length. Don't forget the tools to fit it with either :)

foz":2q3vekyq said:
That's a freewheel, not a cassette...

Thank you. Can I replace this free wheel sprockets with an 8-speed Shimano cassette and if so, which one? I will pop in to my LBS on Saturday, see if they can help ;).

Cheers.

You'll have to replace the whole unit, the biggest you can go (sensibly) on a freewheel is a 7 speed, but there aren't many high end 7 speed freewheels about.

You will need a remover like this to get that off your old LBS might still have one ;)

Attachments

• Maillard rem 2.jpg
    Maillard rem 2.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 662
  • Maillard rem 1.jpg
    Maillard rem 1.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 662
You can't replace it with a cassette, only with another freewheel. Cassette and freewheel hubs are completely different: http://sheldonbrown.com/freewheels.html

If you want to use a cassette, you'll have to change the whole hub. If you want to use the same hub, you'll need another freewheel (unless you can use the one you already have)

Sometimes the freewheel can be a right pain to remove, ask your local LBS to remove it for you, mine does it for free

foz":2mj5nbci said:
You can't replace it with a cassette, only with another freewheel. Cassette and freewheel hubs are completely different: http://sheldonbrown.com/freewheels.html

If you want to use a cassette, you'll have to change the whole hub. If you want to use the same hub, you'll need another freewheel (unless you can use the one you already have)
Perfect, thank you, will read info. The situation is getting clearer going forward ;).

Back