Club rides and retro's

bm0p700f

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Went on a 70 mile club ride today with my old Alan. I got told by one in the group you always turn up on old bikes half falling apart (nothing wrong with this one at all or any of my retro's), as you own a bike shop why don't throw it away and get a new bike! He obviously does not get it at all.

I also got told by someone else that they always had threaded headset locknuts loosening off, not on good threaded headsets set up properly they don't. Another one who does not get it. I have some work to do.

I will be riding this now all summer as there is nothing wrong or slow about old. Tubs are expensive. Another Gatorskin tub taken out on a flint strewn road. Going to try Vittoria Pave next.

I have had some offhand comments about my old bikes but lately more riders are offering complements instead. Part of that is because, like it or not, vintage road bikes are trendy.

Steven

I have to agree with Steven. The guy who commented, not only does he 'not get it', he needs a kick in the *******s for being so rude.

Have you tried Vittorio Rally tubs? Available here -

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/vittoria-bla ... #avantages

I am asking because i might buy a pair soon. I note that the tyre in the pic does not appear to be evenly on the rim - very odd.

Richard

Hmmm! Don't think i've ever had any bad comments about my bikes
but last year a young lad on a full carbon bike said - is that one of
those old steeled racing bikes? He then asked do the tubes bend
because of being so thin!! I showed him around my bike and he
thought it was a great machine but I need to go modern now.

His face was a picture when I told him I do have a modern bike but would rather ride on my old faithful's ;)

cheap tubs are horrible. I have tried onti Giro's and regreted it. The things were not even round like the Rally's I believe. I will moving on the Vittoria Pave next.

Thanks for the advice. I have never used tubs before and i wanted a cheap pair to test ride before i got into the expensive stuff.

Richard

Yes that what I did at first, it was a mistake. The ride with the current gator skin tubs is so much better shame I destroyed one today with flints.

My tub experience though is very limited as I only started using them last year.

You mentioned Contis - i keep reading and hearing that they are a nightmare to fit - is this right?

Richard

I don't have nightmare about them but I am not an experienced tub fitter (I will be one day though) so I have given up trying to glue conti tubs as they do not seem to stretch much when left at 150 psi on a rim for a few weeks. I find gluing them a farse so I use tape with them instead. I am hoping the vittoria are better in this regard so I get good a gluing.

What tape are you using, i got a couple of rolls of tap this week (Jantex Competion 76 i think) - should be interesteing when i get around to using it.

Richard

Back