Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sat Dec 03, 2016 7:53 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 5:06 pm 
Dirt Disciple

hello

I have heard many conflicting opinions about this. Could someone please tell me what is the best brand and type of oil to use in a sturmey archer 3 speed hub. I have been using 3 in one but have heard that it is not the best to use.

Please advise.

Jake

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 6:32 pm 
Old School Hero

While you're probably perfectly fine using 3-in-1 (I used to use it BITD when I owned a Raleigh Chopper) the recommended lube for the job is "light machine oil"...

IIRC 3-in-1 has some additives but as far as I can tell there's nothing in there that'll harm a Sturmey-Archer (just corrosion inhibitors and citronella).

the "best" to use would likely be sewing machine oil of some kind, it's slightly less viscous than 3-in-1 (I've used it as a lube for RC cars and model trains in the past).

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 7:43 pm 
Retro Guru

You used to be able to get Sturmey Archer gear oil but I've not seen any for years. 3 in 1 is ok but thought to be to thin, engine oil is to thick and causes poor shifting. So you need something like 30W 4 stroke mower engine oil which is in between the two.

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 9:41 pm 
Dirt Disciple

thanks guys, this is for a sunbeam I am doing up, I wanted to use the same oil for the sturmey archer hub and to put in the chain case oil bath.

I found some sturmey archer instructions recommending sae 30 oil so I imagine this product would be ok:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Briggs-Stratton ... B00095L3HA

Forgive my ignorance but is this oil clear? I went past a garage today and asked if the guys could put some oil in my little oil tin, they gave it back full of this horrid black stuff that I didn't want to put anywhere near me

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 10:59 am 
Retro Guru

JakeMiddleton wrote:
thanks guys, this is for a sunbeam I am doing up, I wanted to use the same oil for the sturmey archer hub and to put in the chain case oil bath.

I found some sturmey archer instructions recommending sae 30 oil so I imagine this product would be ok:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Briggs-Stratton ... B00095L3HA

Forgive my ignorance but is this oil clear? I went past a garage today and asked if the guys could put some oil in my little oil tin, they gave it back full of this horrid black stuff that I didn't want to put anywhere near me

Sounds like they've given you used oil. It should be clear honey coloured :)

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 7:02 pm 
Dirt Disciple

haha yeah

Ah well at least I have found a nice oil now. Thanks for the help. I will post pictures of the bike when its done

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 7:28 pm 
Dirt Disciple

SAE 30 or Sturmey Archer's own oil - the latter available from:

http://www.oldbiketrader.co.uk/ or other Sturmey Archer dealers.

3 in 1 is supposed to be bad! Allegedly it dries out leaving a sticky residue that gums up the works. Certainly, I recently stripped down a hub that was well and truly bunged up with something resembling nearly cured epoxy resin - sounds like the reports of 3 in 1 lubricated hubs, but I have no way of confirming it.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 8:54 pm 
Dirt Disciple

well the sturmey archer oil is £4.50 for 100ml where as the sae 30 is £7.50 for 600ml I doubt there is actually much difference, probably just a question of branding

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 8:33 pm 
Dirt Disciple

JakeMiddleton wrote:
well the sturmey archer oil is £4.50 for 100ml where as the sae 30 is £7.50 for 600ml I doubt there is actually much difference, probably just a question of branding

Yes, and a number of people I know use SAE30 with no ill effects. Whichever way you choose to do it the cost is low as you only need a few drops every few weeks. 600ml will last most users many years.