Vitus 979 Seatpost Advice

VanhireBoys

Dirt Disciple
Hi Guys
I havent been around in a while so apologies for that but I have been slowly restoring my Peugeot Vitus 979 Duralinox ! She is looking not too bad now. I have a slight problem but.

I have a Dura-Ace 7400 Aero seatpost which fits no problem but I have to put it about 20mm past the max line so that I can get the right stretch on my legs... !

Is there a chance I could split the frame or do sommit nasty if I ride the bike like this...?

I like the look of the Aero seatpost but if I cant use it then so be it.. What sort of post should I get..?

Thanks in Advance Lads

I wouldn't risk it, I'd try a longer post in the right size, in my opinion the price of vanity isn't worth potentially breaking a nice 979.

look out for another in you size and then sell this one. you owe it to yourself to have a normal
looking 80s bike - vanity is everything a la velo, monsieur!!

:cool:

It can be difficult anyway finding the right sized seatpost for a 979 as they are 25mm and usually short as trad frames are not designed to have massive amount of seatpost showing.As the other have said too much strain on the seat tube is probably not a good idea!If it has the grub screw set-up instead of the usual bolt it probably is even less of a good idea to have too much post showing!
(1 of the lasses)

Keep the post...get a bigger frame.
Seriously, if you need to have the post at 20mm past the max, the frame is too small.

All the best,

Back