Paint matching?

Joe of Loath

Old School Hero
Hey all

I have a 1980s Falcon sport-touring bike that I'm currently riding as a single speed 'cross bike. The paint wasn't very good when I got it, and is only getting worse, with the patches of existing rust growing and the odd chip.

What's the best way to match the original paint and get it repainted? The frame isn't particularly worth much, so I'd prefer to do it myself than send it off and get it done.

Thanks!

Obligatory slightly out of date picture http://i.imgur.com/KduojPn.jpg

Take the frame to a local car body shop paint supplier, they will match the colour mix it and fill an aerosol can for you

I've got a small modellers airgun, the type that screws on the top of a can of compressed air. The whole setup will cost about £20 from a model shop, perfect for brushing out small areas. The skill is in getting the prep work good. As robbied196 says use modellers enamel paints and just use black or white to tint a base colour.

Otherwise as 47p2 says, take it to a body repair shop. A friend of mine works at a really high tech place that repairs supercars and he has a computer that photographs the paint and mixes an exact match! If you're ever in North London I could find out if he can fill a can... it might cost a few quid though

Back