Found my old Raleigh racer in Dads Garage

Leevis

Dirt Disciple
Hi All
I was in my Dads garage the other day and discovered that my old racer was still in there from the early/mid 80s. Last time i used it must have been around 1988 or 1989.
I am not really too sure what it is to be honest. Its definately a Raleigh and some research on the internet says that it is a racer in Team Panasonic colours. I cant remember when i got it but was most likely somewhere between 84 and 86.
I recently did a 45 mile charity bike ride on my mountain bike which half killed me and was thinking about buying a road bike if was to do it again when i found my old racer.
Havent been up too close to it yet because its behind a load of other stuff but its definately there :)
Question is, how can i find out for sure what model it is, is it actually worth anything (would be awesome if it was), would it be worth getting back on the road (20 years+ of being stored in a garage probably not done much favour).
Can i replace the parts with new bits?
Any advice would be awesome.
Lee

Gets some pictures taken my friend! and post them on this thread, you'll soon get your answer. ASAP

Don't replace any parts unless they are broken or totally rusted to death.

I will sort some pics out, probably going to pick it up these week at some point, its behind LOADS of stuff at the mo so will take a while to get it out.

OK

Have not taken any pics as yet, but did manage to liberate bike from Dads garage and is now residing in my garage.

Not totally rusted to death, some bits here and there. Is TOTALLY filthy though so i bought some hardcore cleaner and will be giving it a clean this week but i will take some pics first and upload them on here.

Some of the things i have noticed though.

1. Brakes still work
2. Wheels are buckled so will need replacing.
3. Handlebars seem OK but need a serious clean up
4. Pedals turn ok
5. Not sure about the gears but will clean up and see what works.

The first thing i need to know though is what bike it is, i doesnt have anything written on it that i can see, is there another way because i will ultimately need to get some bits for it but need to know what it is.

Lee

the team panasonic colours means it is either:

- raleigh corsa (reynolds 501 frame)
- raleigh cadet (raleigh 18-23 frame)
- raleigh kelloggs tour (reynolds 501 frame) early model before the yellow/white kellogs
- raleigh panasonic (reynolds 531 frame, several variations)

You can get buckled wheel rims straightened at your local bike shop for between £5 - £15 per wheel. if the wheels are steel and chrome plated (i.e. rusty) then chuck them. Alloys are much better (lighter, corrosion resistant, and better for braking performance).

if you want new wheels i would recommend the Weinmann XR18 700c wheelset.

handlebars just get some new tapes (selle italia smootape is very good).

brakes - fit new cable inners and outers, and new pads, and give them a good clean-up.

gears - fit new cables and clean/grease them up, and re-adjust.

i have resurrected bikes that have been mothballed for 20 years and its quite easy, as long as they have been stored in decent dry conditions.

look out for the frame logo's to see what model it is. otherwise the componentry is specific to the different models, so it would be easy to work out if we could see photo's. the frame number would be helpful aswell.

the reynolds 501 team raleighs go for between £100 and £200 (depending on time of year, condition, and location), the 531's go for much more, and the 18-23's go for under £100 (sometimes more if the advert is done well).

Also be careful with that hardcore cleaner make sure that ii is not abrasive or corrosive. Old finishes can be somewhat delicate.

Clean that up, strip and grease the bearings, New tape, Alexander's brake blocks and that should be a cracking bike with a pleasant patina and years of memories. AWESOME.

Bit of an update on what i have done so far.

Wheels buckled beyond fixing so i bought some cheapo replacements from a local cycle shop. They will do until such time as i need to change them again.

Replaced the tyres because these ones has disintegrated. They now have sexy blue ones on which look kinda nice.

Replaced front brake cable and brake now works however i really should replace the brake pads. Now white cables

Rear brake is a bit more of a headache, i somehow managed to lose the cable adjuster screw thing from the front brake when i took it apart and used the rear one, now i need to get a new one for the back. Hopefully local cycle shop will have one, i have the caliper with me now to check if it fits.

Changed gear cables (both), front mech now works fine. Rear is a different story, can only seem to get 4 of the 5 gears sometimes and very hit and miss. Chap here at work says i need to pull the cable through a bit harder so i will give that a shot and see what happens.

Brake lever hoods are rotten but these are sooo expensive, any recommendations on which brake levers to get (if at all). Can you get ones that 'top load' ie the cables exit through the top and not the back. Not too sure how to get the current levers off tbh without completely destroying the currents hoods. Might be cheaper to get some new hoods but dont know if you can get ones that have the cable exit hole. Any cheap recommendations would be appreciated here.

Seat and seat post need changing at some point, not ridden it to see how it feels because of the gear problem but should have that resolved soon.

10 gear model btw.

Lee

Latest posts

Back