Kona Jake - chainset replacement

malley

Dirt Disciple
I am servicing a nice grey-paint Kona Jake (not sure of year). Replacing cassette, chain, cantilevers, etc, etc. The chainrings and BB are completely shot - Truvativ Elita and FSA platinum pro, respectively. Looking around the usual online dealers this is proving quite tricky (expensive) to sort!!! The bike is running with 8 - speed drivetrain, 48/39 chainrings and has a 68x108 BB. ISIS fit.

BB coming in near the £50 mark

130 BCD chainrings seem to be £30 plus?

So . . . . . . . . . cheaper to replace with new chainset and BB altogether?

Thoughts/suggestions greatly appreciated?

:shock:

malley":3n8dqjja said:
I am servicing a nice grey-paint Kona Jake (not sure of year). Replacing cassette, chain, cantilevers, etc, etc. The chainrings and BB are completely shot - Truvativ Elita and FSA platinum pro, respectively. Looking around the usual online dealers this is proving quite tricky (expensive) to sort!!! The bike is running with 8 - speed drivetrain, 48/39 chainrings and has a 68x108 BB. ISIS fit.

BB coming in near the £50 mark

130 BCD chainrings seem to be £30 plus?

So . . . . . . . . . cheaper to replace with new chainset and BB altogether?

Thoughts/suggestions greatly appreciated?

:shock:

Not much in it, really. For CX-type ratios, Stronglight Impact compact doubles start at 50 quid. A half-decent BB will add another £15-£20 on top of that; the matching JP400 Stronglight unit (square taper) is a wee bit heavy maybe but very reliable.

David

May as well replace the lot. Is the owner ok with used parts? I just sold a Sora triple Hollowtech II chainset for £30 posted in very good condition, there are bargains to be had.

Back