HELP - Raleigh Cross Threaded BB

KidDynamite

Dirt Disciple
Feedback
View
Hi All,

I am looking for some big help, this weekend I removed the BB from my 1979 Raleigh to degrease and do some maintenance on the bike, unfortunately when I was installing the cups back (the drive side) by mistake I was turning the cups on the other side. Half way in the cup got cross threaded (I was very sleepy and wanted to finish the bike really really bad, after two weeks without riding the bike :( ).

Now the cup only turns a few centimetres to the left and a few centimetres to the right.

Any suggestions on how to remove it please? On Saturday and Sunday I soaked the cup and the BB with WD-40.

The cups are like the below pic.

raleigh-bbcup.jpg

Not sure the cups can get cross threaded "half way in", they get cross threaded at the start....... cross threaded things don't move at all usually

Gunk / rust can get trapped in the treads which feels like they are locking in place......

Just not sure what you have done?

Shaun

Hi Midlife, thanks for your reply, fortunately all seems to be Ok now, and even the BB is not damaged. Maybe as you said, gunk, paint or rust got trapped in the threads.

Thanks again for your reply :)

Hi lewisfoto, the threads seems to be fine (not 100% since it's a 1979 bike), but I will check with my local bike shop.

Thanks for your suggestion :)

The excellent pic is the left side which is right hand thread. The right cup is left hand thread and looks like the pic but without the lock ring. Are you sure you have not mixed them up? The locking ring should not fit the right hand cup.

Hey Keith, it was my mistake that I was reverse threading the cup and got stuck and cross threaded. now all seems to be good.

Back