Freeing stubborn limit screws

garethrl

Senior Retro Guru
Hi guys,
I have a Golden Arrow front mech that I'm cleaning up, but the limit screws don't want to play nice. What are the usual tips for freeing them up? All I have to hand is some fairly standard penetrating oil which I applied liberally and left overnight with no success. Would something like Plusgas be expected to work.

The slots in the screws aren't in the best condition and I don't want to risk chewing them up really badly so that there's no shifting them in future. If I can just get them moving then at least I have the option of replacing them later.

Cheers,
Gareth.

Gareth,

You are on the right track unfortunately a really stuck bit had years to get in that spot and so soaking it overnight likely will have little affect. Like you mention it is difficult to adequately torque the tiny limit screws but I would just keep trying. The good news is that front mechs are generally cheap, unless this is a rare part like the first generation, cable stop, Campagnolo Record derailleur, so if you strip it, bin it, and get another.

Steven

Heat shocking can also work to break the bond - try pouring boiling water all over it, then a quick dip in a bucket of cold water.

If the tips above don't work I have a golden arrow front mech for sale at the mo, good price, good condition and guaranteed limit screws move freely!

Back