campagnolo xenon/mirage questions

rob f

Dirt Disciple
Hello,

I've just finished rebuilding an OLMO which uses Campagnolo xenon shifters & a mirage rear mech (not sure of front mech, bur it's Campagnolo) using an 8 speed block. generally the system seems to work, possibly requiring some tweaking. I have some questions, which may seem a bit dumb, bit I've never had STI shifters before, all my other bikes use downtube shifters.

Questions:-

1.When I apply the brakes, the shifter levers move back towards the bars, but when I release the brakes they stay close to the bars. I'm guessing they should spring back with the brake levers. Is there something that I haven't assembled correctly, & if so what is the solution ?

2. Since the rear mech and levers seem to indicate that they are for 9 speed blocks, can I change the block for a 9 speed block. I'm guessing that maybe the mech is shut down to 8 on the stops ? Does this seem like something that is just a case of swapping the blocks over ? I was sitting next to someone on a plane last night who said he thought the early 8/9 speed blocks were interchangeable

3. I think I read somewhere that there are 2 types of spline for the older Campagnolo blocks. When I look at buying a 9 speed block there is never any information about this. I'm wary of buying a block that is incompatible with the hobs I have.

Thanks in advance

1. Not sure.

2/3. Unfortunately for you Campagnolo 8 speed hubs won't work with 9/10 speed cassettes. You'll have to change wheels, or shifters.

Back