Calling colnago experts!

boggy

Retro Guru
Hi, ive just purchased this Colnago frame (forks arent original) http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/261201633290? ... 1497.l2649 which was sold as a "Super". The decals say super but im not totally convinced that it is a Super, and i dont know why!! Can anyone help to confirm or not that this is a colnago super? There is also a number stamped under the bottom bracket shell with the number "76". Does anyone know what tis refers to? because i am trying to find out approx age of the frame. The frame has been repainted so its hard to see what is on the dropouts but im sure i can scrape of some paint to see under. Also, not sure if the head lugs are/were chromed but i guess a little "scratching" might reveal more. Any help in confirming its a super or otherwise will be greatly appreciated because currently collecting vinatge super record bits to put on it. Will also prob be looking at sourcing a matching fork and repaint. Anyone who can help with the fork will be appreciated.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Ian Raleigh":afm982av said:
This is a super! I'd check with these pictures whilst looking at your frame.

http://www.classicbikeshop.eu/frame-col ... od-60.html

I'm no Colnago expert but didn't the Super have a chrome rear stay! Also Colnago made a lower spec' Sport model frame....I think.

Note on the above 'link' the gear cable stop is on the bottom where as your frame cable stop is on the top!

That's a very odd 'super'... (classic bike shop ) never seen the seat stays shot in like that, almost wrap-over ( hmmmm )
early supers with chrome lugs ( an option ) had stays like this: (my 70s nag, now gone to pastures new)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/51987088@N ... 682536140/

Boggy, if you are looking for 1st gen super record like from my Mattolini, does the Colnago you bought have fluted seat stays into the seat lug and BB top cable guides?
Pictures are from my 80s super, note seat stay with pantho and chromed chain stay with cable stop on bottom.
Also attached Catalog pic from that era:
Maybe it's cool to run with those Zeus forks, by the time you've dialled in a proper refinish you'll be up to the price of this which I SHOULD have bought! :cool: :
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/140957647207? ... 1423.l2649

Attachments

• Colnago Frame02.jpg
    Colnago Frame02.jpg
    176.7 KB · Views: 597
  • Colnago Frame13.jpg
    Colnago Frame13.jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 597
  • colnago-19860015.jpg
    colnago-19860015.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 597
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Hi, the rear right stay does seem to be chrome under the red paint, where some of it has rubbed off. Seat stay not panto'd but does have tt cable guides with cable stop on rear stay. I did originally think that this was maybe a sport but the more I compare I think it's an early or 70's super. The lug work seems to be bit more detailed than standard sport model and possibly chromed under paint but not checked yet. Does look lot like the blue frame without the panto. Would like to pair it up with a matching fork and planning to either strip back o bare metal or repaint with SR/NR group. Thanks for everyone's input. Still don't know what the "76" signifies on by shell?

The link to the master was a nice one but did manage to get a bargain master pui frame only here recently which was badly scratched but now has a nice full DA group on it. This super will be to hang the super record on and for gentle sunny days.

The frame is possibly all chromed under the paint, maybe take a scalpel to a bit under the bb? If the cable guides are on top of the bb, the cable stop would of course be on top of the
Chain stay, I've got some colnago strap buttons if you are gonna use rat traps :)

Cable guides run above the bb and after a bit more scraping of seat tube (def need stripping now!) I'm not 100% certain if it's all chrome under the paint. But the rear right stay does seem "shinier" and prob is chrome. I'll be nitro morsing it this weekend so will hopefully see full extent of what's under it.

So, all in all, £150 for just a frame, good price or cud have done better? Add upto lanother £100 for matching fork and £80 for full respray (no masking) and £330-350 isn't such a bargain but works out about market value? The find and "playing about" with it and trying to identify its history is part of the fun I guess.

Also just noticed it takes 27.0mm seat pins as opposed to 27.2.

Sorry if this info is a bit tardy, but I own a late 70s Super and the lugs, cable guides, seat stay caps and braze-on shifter bosses are very similar to your frame. The only caveat being that the photos are too small for a full evaluation. Also note that the only chrome on a standard Super from the 70s was the fork crown. I attached a couple of photos of my bike

Attachments

• 77 Super Lug.jpg
    77 Super Lug.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 558
  • 77 Super Main.jpg
    77 Super Main.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 558
Yes my blue Super was the same as your lovely red example, the chrome lugs were fitted to 'show' models and available as an option at the point of order I'm told.
I agree Boggy, it's nice to fiddle and fettle and bring an unloved example back into the spotlight rather than go for all shiny and new every time. my projects are similar to your with a few exceptions, the Daccordi was a bit of a time warp find for example...
I look forward to seeing progress! :)

Yes, your frame looks pretty much like mine, I'll post some pix later. I'm assuming my frame is made from Columbus SL tubing? You guys agree? There's no decal on mine but I have seen tange labeled supers before.

Also still trying to figure out what the number "76" means under bb shell.

Back