Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Wed Dec 07, 2016 1:46 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:41 am 
Dirt Disciple

That's a great walk through! I've been loathe to de-anodize using chemicals, as I live in a small apartment without a real workshop. So, my solution is to simply sand off the anodized layer with 150 grit, and follow the same process from there (150, 600, steel wool, polish, wax). However, I've only done small bits so far... When it gets to doing crank arms etc. I might just give this a go!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:04 pm 
Retro Guru

Stunning work - I've got a pair of identical levers in need of similar attention.

It would be really useful (to me!) if you could explain how you removed the blades from their mounts ? I managed to get the pins to move a couple of mm in/out, but I didn't have the confidence to keep hitting the punch!

I've only had to use Oven Pride on one of the components on my build - the derailleur cage, but I was really impressed with the results - shame it didn't clean the oven as well.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:16 pm 
PoTM Winner
PoTM Winner

Quote:

It would be really useful (to me!) if you could explain how you removed the blades from their mounts ? I managed to get the pins to move a couple of mm in/out, but I didn't have the confidence to keep hitting the punch!

There is a small grub screw that has to be removed before you punch out the pin.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 12:03 am 
Retro Guru

Montello wrote:
Quote:

There is a small grub screw that has to be removed before you punch out the pin.

Here are some picture of the said part.

Attachments:
File comment: Here is a pic of the grub screw in place.
Grub 1.jpg
Grub 1.jpg [ 84.86 KiB | Viewed 614 times ]
File comment: Remove it with a hex key
Grub 2.jpg
Grub 2.jpg [ 117.78 KiB | Viewed 614 times ]
File comment: Some campag levers dont have the screw, This is 1989 Athena. I havent tried to remove these lever blades before so I cant comment on those.
WP_000957.jpg
WP_000957.jpg [ 71.24 KiB | Viewed 614 times ]

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 12:08 am 
Retro Guru

citrixccea wrote:
Stunning work - I've got a pair of identical levers in need of similar attention.

I've only had to use Oven Pride on one of the components on my build - the derailleur cage, but I was really impressed with the results - shame it didn't clean the oven as well.

If you want to send them to me I'd be happy to restore them for you. I assume they are for the Dave Rayner Raleigh Bananna build. I wouldn't mind contributing to this. Send me a pm if you like....

Stephen

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 10:45 am 
Retro Guru

Cheers Kettlo,

You're right it's for my raleigh banana - The white rubber hoods I need were cheaper to buy stateside with brake levers in them ! The original ones aren't quite as bad as your 'before' pictures, but I was having a dilemma as to whether I should refurb them, or swap them for the newer levers.

I am impressed with your results, so I think I'll start by seeing if I can get the levers out first, they're not quite the same as the ones pictured, (they've got the hexbolt adjuster in the blade) but now I know there's a grub screw in there somewhere, I'll find it.

Thanks for your kind offer, I may well take you up on it, depending on how I get on!

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 12:06 pm 
Retro Guru

Dont worry about the difference in the levers. I have rthe same as yours but they were mounted on my bike and I just used another set of Record ones for the pictures.

Yours will have the grub screw in the same position.

Stephen

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 4:34 pm 
The Guv'nor
The Guv'nor

Top work. I'd missed this thread until Campagnolo themselves pointed it out on their twitter feed :D

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 4:57 pm 
Retro Guru

Can't believe that! Its on their Facebook page as well!

I asked them if they had any white hoods to go with them...you never know...

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 5:33 pm 
Mr Benn
Mr Benn

kettlo wrote:
Can't believe that! Its on their Facebook page as well!

I asked them if they had any white hoods to go with them...you never know...

Link here:

https://www.facebook.com/CampagnoloOffi ... ion=stream

:-)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next