Suntour Superbe Pro (130 BCD) crankset bottom bracket query

HavelockEllis

Retro Guru
Picked up a tidy Suntour Superbe chainset the other day - one of the later ones, with the 130 BCD chain rings (road, double). I was always under the impression that these could pretty much drop on a Shimano square taper BB with no problems...a cursory glance at the internet proves otherwise, with consensus pretty much split between the taper being Campag spindle compatible as Shimano.
Is there anyone on here who could recommend sending me down the best BB route before I splash out?

Re: Suntour Superbe Pro (130 BCD) crankset bottom bracket qu

Well you have come to the right place because I have dozens of BBs and cranksets and...

It looks to me like the Suntour cranks fit best on a Campagnolo spindle. Mind you I have Superbe Pro set so the taper could be different.

Sugino has the same taper as Campy if I recall correctly.

This seems like a question for Shaun

Cheers for that - I think the Campag route it is...one of those Token 111mm jobs on Ebay should do the job on my meagre budget.
It does feel a little wrong, mind, putting a Japanese crank on an Italian BB. :eek:

BITD Shimano, Suntour, Sugino, Sakae Ringyo used JIS ...........Campag, Gipiemme, Ofmega, Omas used ISO.

However it wouldn't surprise me if later Suntour either had their own or aped Campag. Suntour came out with some innovative kit, Slant Pantograph, Indexing, Compact freewheels and the like. It's just that the top rank of management were a bit parochial / pants. Not sure what happened after they were sold.

Suck it and see on this one :)

Shaun

Midlife":3too69rq said:
BITD Shimano, Suntour, Sugino, Sakae Ringyo used JIS ...........Campag, Gipiemme, Ofmega, Omas used ISO.
Careful!

The top end Japanese parts were heavily influenced by European standards, to the extent that Dura Ace bottom brackets used ISO tapers up until the 7410 model went JIS in the mid nineties.

SunTour Superbe Pro cranks also used ISO tapers right up until SunTour's demise in the mid nineties. Axle lengths were in the 109-112mm ballpark. I've found a 111mm Campag unit works well.

Ah! Learn something new every day... that might explain a few things.

BITD we were under the impression that Jap and Campag were not interchangable. We did do a fair amount of swapping between the two, mainly to save money when getting a hand-me-down from club members and thought it was luck if something fitted. I have a Campag BB on my Bob-Jackson and it ran a SR Royal which seemed to work.

There was the rumour that the only difference was that campag had more of a bevelled end than Shimano.......nobody bothered to measure LOL

Just had a check on Velobase and lo-and-behold, My fave Jap Shimano 70's BB is ISO !

http://velobase.com/ViewComponent.aspx? ... &AbsPos=83

As I say, learn something new every day :)

Cheers

Shaun

In the Suntour catalogues the axles for Superbe Pro chainsets are listed as having a Superbe Pro taper whereas the lesser chainsets used a different taper. I picked up a genuine Suntour Superbe Pro bottom bracket axle to be on the safe side.

Mark.

Latest posts

Back