Is it Acceptable ?

velomaniac

MacRetro Rider
I get a sore to very painful neck when I ride a drop barred bike. I've tried every combination of drop bar & stem position but nothing works plus i dont like where the brake levers sit.
So is it acceptable to put flat bars on an old lugged framed road bike ?
My old Dawes commuter roadbike is set up with flats and I enjoy using it but its not likely to attend a retrobike road gathering.
In the mtb part of retrobike putting bar end grips on riser bars is viewed as a heinous crime so is flat bars on a roadbike ok or is that a step beyond acceptable taste.
I'm probably going to flat bar my Raleigh Criterium but i'd still like to know if its a crime :LOL:

To me, anything that's reversible and that allows you to keep using and enjoying
a bike is acceptable.

'Reversible' means that the original part could be easily refitted, without needing professional
help. Changing handlebars, freewheel, gears etc is all reversible stuff. Cutting off derailleur hangers,
braze ons etc isn't.

Of course, you probably won't win RBOTM or be able to do the Eroica on a road bike with flat bars but that was never your plan, so have a go, I say...

Good luck,

Johnny

velomaniac":80s32a88 said:
I get a sore to very painful neck when I ride a drop barred bike. I've tried every combination of drop bar & stem position but nothing works plus i dont like where the brake levers sit.
So is it acceptable to put flat bars on an old lugged framed road bike ?

Hey, it's your bike so do what you want with it - anything that can be removed can also be put back if needed at a later date ;-)

How about a slightly different type of non-dropped bars - something like this:

0-rra1934-full.preview.jpg

Might give you the riding position and brake set up you're after whilst retaining the credibility with the 'originality' brigade due to it not sticking out like a sort thumb.

With a Nitto Technomic stem and some shallow drop bars (I use Deda Piega) you can get the drops to be level with the saddle, and the hoods a good few inches above.

Clearly it is a crime, yes.

However it is of course your bike and if you'll be better able to enjoy riding it setup as such then absolutely go ahead and do it! A lot of modern road stuff especially bikes aimed at the non-racing market is moving (or has moved) towards a taller headtube and higher bars and stems.

I have exactly the same problem riding my Raleigh Clubman, i was considering fitting more comfortable bars on mine too, the pain puts me off riding it :oops: :cry:

Bike1.jpg

I'm also thinking of changing the bars on one of my Peugeot P10L to a more relaxed set. When I was selling the Humber I took it out for a spin and the riding position was what could only be described as very comfortable and therefore I am looking for handlebars similar to these if anyone can point me in the right direction

16.jpg

Think they are what are described as North Road bars, whole range in various bends (and prices) on ebay.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
widowmaker":182vzfk3 said:
I have exactly the same problem riding my Raleigh Clubman, i was considering fitting more comfortable bars on mine too, the pain puts me off riding it :oops: :cry:

Another alternative is the interrupter type brake levers that cyclocross racers started using.
According to Sheldon Brown they'll work on other drop bar set ups as well as cyclocross.
They let you brake while riding on the flat section of the drop bars without having to get rid of your drops altogether:

http://sheldonbrown.com/gloss_i-k.html

Back