Any decent late 80's Peugeots?

brocklanders023

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Please don't hurt me roadies, I'm new here!

When I was young and before I found MTB's I had a road bike. My mate had a white Peugeot (around 1989, maybe 8:cool: and I thought it was ace. Anyway, I've been thinking of getting a cheapish road bike to do up and use for fitness so my thoughs are to build up a Peugeot like I remember bitd. Thing is, I know nothing really about what's good and what's bad when it comes to road bikes. Did Peugeot knock out anything half decent back then? If so, what should I look for? I don't want a super dream bike but also don't want a duffer so what groupo should I look for? I'm confused so any help would be great.

loads of good old Pugs out there , try and find one with either Reynolds 501 or 531 tubing or if not some later ones were Columbus tubed .

even std Carbolite 103's are ok as are the HLE tubed ones

The roadies are actually very civil...for the most part.

Look at the site in the link here for catalog scans, but it looks like there were several nice bikes including the racing team replicas, Dolomites, the Carbon Pro and the Galibier. I would imagine that these bike would be fairly common in the UK, with the exception of the carbon bikes.

http://www.peugeotshow.com/

However, I don't think these bikes would be cheapish. As the old bicycle saying goes: Light, cheap and strong; you can pick any two.

Steven

I've a P10L (Carbolite 103 tubing) which I've had from new and it's a great bit of kit

Thanks for the replies. Think I'll keep an eye out for a 501 or 531 frame as I seem to remember those numbers being very important to the chaps I used to ride with (well, who I used to meet up with and try to keep up!).

I'm 6'2" and ride 19" MTB's. What size road bike should I be looking at? A scan of ebay show's many different Peugeots in many different sizes.

brocklanders023":2aho0gn4 said:
I'm 6'2" and ride 19" MTB's. What size road bike should I be looking at? A scan of ebay show's many different Peugeots in many different sizes.

I would think around 24"-25" or in new money 62-64cm

Keep an eye out for the Triathlon model - a good entry-level Peugeot with Reynolds 501 main frame and forks.

David

Reynolds 501 is a straight gauge tube, it was used in mtb's like Dawes and Raleigh, as well as road bikes and is pretty base model stuff. 531 is a much better tube and would really be where I would be looking.

Size wise, I'm 6'1" and ride a 17.5 to 18" mtb; road bike I ride a 56cm (22"), so although you could ride a 24", the same as I could, a lot depends on your build; long legs, or long arms etc. It might be worth dropping into your lbs and just slinging a leg over some 56 and 58cm bikes.

Good luck with your Pug hunt. I only took up road riding six months ago and it's addictive stuff ;)

Back