Rim cement

rob f

Dirt Disciple
Just wondering what the best rim cement is nowadays. I have been using the Continental Aluminium Rim cement since I fixed up my old bike last year, but it seems like a really lengthy arduous procedure over several days, & when I take an old tyre off it feels like it's barely stuck on at all.

The stuff I used to use 30 years ago in the tin with a brush connected to the lid, was much better & you only needed to paint on one layer for the tyre to be firmly stuck on the rim.

rob f":1lrls680 said:
The stuff I used to use 30 years ago in the tin with a brush connected to the lid, was much better & you only needed to paint on one layer for the tyre to be firmly stuck on the rim.

Dunlop most probably - sadly gone - but not forgotten. I have still have a couple of tins that have usable cement still in them but when they eventually dry up I shall use tape (which I also use now sometimes with no problem).

Mind you, I don't ride on sprints and tubs on a regular basis these days, only on Classic Rides and 'Old Skool' time trials.

Thanks for the response.

What tape do you use & is it easy to use, & do the tyres feel like they're firmly stuck on when you come ot remove them ?

Old Ned

I am having trouble embracing the tape concept, some vision of tires rolling off the rim. So you have used it and it is good. I use the continental stuff largely because it is the only brand the LBS stocks.

Steven

If tape wasn't OK then I and a lot of other people wouldn't use it. Tubular mounting tape has been on the market from several different manufacturers for years. If it wasn't any good then it wouldn't be sold - especially in today's 'blame' environment!

But don't rely just on me saying this please. Have a trawl around the 'net and make you own mind up.

I always used tape in the old days (not so way back in the 80s) and never had any problems with it.
The brand I always got was Advance Gem but I don't think they make it any more so I use Jantex now.
So far so good but like Old Ned I don't ride tubs very often these days.

Mark.

I was chatting about this to my work colleague who is a veteran TT rider and goes over to the Alps to ride them and he swears by Tufo rim tape........in fact he went on about it so much I'm tempted :)

Shaun

Am also new to tubs, only used Tubasti rim cement and after a bodged first effort putting too much cement on the rim, second attempt was simple, left it overnight in a warmish room and it set solid, no drama at all. Not looking forward to the day I have remove those tubs though as they are certainly set solid that's for sure. Was tempted by tape, and may try that as it doesn't get many bad reports.

Solid tub cement :)

God I used to hate the days when a wheel came in for a tub change and it was cemented with Clement red track tub glue..........the "no more nails" of the 1970's. Acetone / tetrachloroethelene (now banned) never touched it.

Shaun

on 2 different bikes , i used Jantex tape and while the front hasnt moved at all , both rears have come undone in very wet conditions . I replaced the tape with Continental cement and been fine since . I only use tubs on road and cyclocross bikes .

Tufo tape as a very good reputation indeed , but a bit more expensive .

Back