Builders who made both frames and components?

lewisfoto

rBotM Winner
Feedback
View
Out of curiosity how many bike builders over the years made frames and complete groups so that you could have a whole bike by one company?

I can only think of one: Zeus.

Schwinn I think made most of the parts on the cruisers and middle weights, but I am more interested in vintage lightweights. Cinelli doesn't count because they never made a complete group.

So can you add to the list?

Peugeot used a lot of simplex parts re-branded as their own, I don't think it counts 100% but is pretty close.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
English Builder made frames and components.

Hobbs of Barbican sold a range of light alloy components (branded Lytaloy) after WW2 ended, they made headsets, bottom brackets, chainsets, pedals and brakesets, mudguards and handlebars.

Hobbs had always been innovators and the experience gained during WW2 (war work) gained valuable expertise (and extra capacity) that they could bring to bear in peacetime.

There was also a steel shortage, so aluminium made sense as a material.

Roadking.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Viscount tried to make all their own parts and I'm pretty sure everything on their original Aerospace models were made in-house. I think it just became too expensive after a while, when you could buy everything from Shimano, Campagnolo etc for less for better.

Back