Stripping paint back without spoiling chrome underneath?

Newman8

Devout Dirtbag
Stripping paint back without spoiling chrome underneath?
Regarding the bike below - the paint is peeling off forks & it seems to be chrome underneath. It looks as though the paint will come off fairly easy but if at all possible, I'd like to leave the chrome undamaged.
Has anyone tried this with any success? Anyone know any good paint strippers to use?
Many thanks.

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=251307

Also - regarding question about lug lining - I have seen a good post on subject in forum archives - thanks to Robbied196 & others.

Looks like bike will remain anonymous:
It's amazing how totally ubiquitous a certain look of bike turns out to be, even when it's probably from a fairly small scale independent producer. I must have seen at least another half dozen brands, as well as those mentioned in the main text in link above, looking almost exactly the same & not just English now - the earliest so far being a 1974 Columbus Olympic & also a Simonicci with Oria tubes.
I guess there were only so many combinations of tube & lug sets available for builders to buy & a small number of tried & tested geometries to build to, so it's almost inevitable that things will look the same as often as not!

Hi Newman8, Thanks for the compliments about the lug lining :)

You need to look closely at the chrome. Some manufacturers chrome the whole frame and forks rather than masking but sometimes when it was going to be painted the chrome was etched. If it has been etched it won't be as bright or shiny as normal polished chrome. If it looks ok you should be able to remove the paint with a normal chemical paint stripper like Nitromors. Stipple it with a stiff brush and wipe off with a cloth but try a small area first although it shouldn't damage the chrome.

Be good to see the results :)

Thanks for that. Will post some pics however good or bad the results are! Prob be at least a couple of weeks though.

Just to add an opinion - i was told paint could be removed with a sharp Stanley blade to reveal the chrome underneath - less mess than chemicals but more time consuming.

Richard

TGR":zb5n3oed said:
Just to add an opinion - i was told paint could be removed with a sharp Stanley blade to reveal the chrome underneath - less mess than chemicals but more time consuming.

Richard

But more scratches on the underlying surface. OK but only for small areas in my opinion.

Spokesmann":2ubpz4h2 said:
TGR":2ubpz4h2 said:
Richard
But more scratches on the underlying surface. OK but only for small areas in my opinion.
That is the idea of cleaning off small sections of no more than six inch's
any splatter of paint stripper onto any other parts will ruin the frame.

You just don't go like a bull in a china shop with this method!

Me and my mate carefully stripped the entire paint off the rear stays, not a scratch in sight, but we had to wear goggles as the 'chips' flew everywhere :oops:

Old post I know - just wanted to let you know that - as above - paint stripper works just fine! I used Rustins Strypit - cheaper than Nitromors!
It was really quick & easy & chrome was not damaged at all. As it turns out, the chrome had a little pitting on the inside of forks only (wheelside) but otherwise really good condition.
Photos:
http://m.flickr.com/#/photos/96078766@N ... 501034265/
Thanks as usual for tips & suggestions - always got the answers on here!

Back