Frame sizing help.

trxrincon

Gold Trader
GT Fan
Feedback
View
Hey, I'm new to the road bike world and I'm wanting to find out the best frame size for me. My Hardtail mtb frames are are usually around 17inch but it looks like the measurements for road bike frames are different? Anyhow I'm 5'9 and have an inside leg measurement of 30". Any help would be great. thanks Rob :cool:

You're a similar size to me, 21"/54cm retro style which is generally a small-medium to medium size modern.

Sizing is a touchy matter and a lot of it comes down to what feels right for you. Some folks spend hundreds of dollars on a professional fitting while others, like myself, wing it. I would suggest trying out a few bikes in the size range you are considering to get an idea of what feel right. Keep in mind that head tube length, top tube length, saddle height, saddle position, stem length, stem height, bar width, bar drop and a few other factors can all affect size and ultimately the feel of the ride.

With a 30" inseam (assuming it's been measured correctly), a 22" or a 23" frame will be waay too big. I have an 81cm inseam, and although I'm the same height as you, I should be riding a bigger frame than you. I ride a 53cm frame (measured from centre-centre) along the seat tube, but I can get away with a frame up to 55cm before it starts feeling too weird. I agree with suggestions that you should try out a few bikes to get a feel for size, but modern bikes no longer have a standard way of measuring size, so one brand's 52cm frame can be bigger than another brand's 56cm frame, so unless you are riding a bike with traditional geometry, then there is a chance you could be confused. I'd be inclined to compare each bike's "effective top tube" measurement for the purposes of appraising modern frames, and using that as the benchmark for deciding what is best. It's a guess but I'm thinking you've got a long torso and would probably want around 56cm effective top tube, and maybe a 52cm seat tube in traditional geometry.

Back