Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:40 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:55 pm 
Old School Grand Master

Evenin all,

It just not has not been my day (see post re front mech prob!!).

I have been restoring a bike for my daughter and last week i removed a rear hub from a wheel with the intention of having it built into another wheel. The hub has a 5sp FW attached and i thought i needed the old small diameter splined Shimano remover - this i ordered and received today. Upon removing the axle bolts and washers i found that i needed to remove the lock nut to get access to the splines - this is did. I then found that the remover was the wrong one!!! I already had the right one in my toolbox.

Anyway, it could have been worse, so i set about trying to work out how to get the FW off. I eventually got the axle removed and the cone and bearing from the non-drive side. I still could not work out how to get the FW off - any ideas?

An update to the above - i have just received a phone call advising me that i should have removed the FW before removing the hub from the wheel - ****!!!! Well, you live an learn. Good job it is not an expensive hub!!

Richard

Last edited by TGR on Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Freewheel Problem
PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:10 pm 
rBoTM Winner
rBoTM Winner

This is not for the feint hearted and given you want to use the hub again maybe not for you. I would suggest you put the freewheel tool in a vice (tighten just enough to hold but not too much to crush the tool). Now you need some leverage, the farm way of doing things, and by this I mean enormous spanners applied using brute force and ignorance, would be to use a stillson wrench on the centre of the hub or perhaps the spoke flange closest to the freewheel. This will leave a nasty mark as they bite, hence asking if you want to use the hub again.

Or you could hold the hub in the vice using some wood to protect the surface and apply your torque to the freewheel tool. In any event use the longest lever you can to apply as much torque as you need, it's sometimes easier to feel things about to break or slip when you're applying a smaller force to a long lever. Either way you do risk damaging the hub now you have removed it from the wheel.

Martin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:37 pm 
Old School Grand Master

Martin,

All a bit odd really, the telephone call suggested a very similar thing - were you eavesdropping? I think i might be able to get a replacement hub tomorrow if things go to plan. Failing that lrge levers might be the way forward! And i have managed to get through a day without cutting myself!!!

Thanks for the advice,

Richard

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:40 pm 
Retro Guru

The other way might be to undo the freewheel lock ring(remember clockwise to undo), remove the freewheel outer body with the cogs on, and then see if you can get a wheel built up with that freewheel centre still in situ, and if you can then after having done so, remove the fwhl centre, rebuild the freewheel and you've saved every thing. I'm just not sure if you will be able to thread in spokes with that fwhl centre still in place. And it doesn't have to be a perfectly built wheel - a first-fix semi-tight wheel will suffice. Good luck fella

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:52 pm 
Old School Grand Master

Thanks for that, i think that is an easier option and the hub can be replaced; we will see what happens tomorrow.

Richard

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:19 am 
Retro Guru

Instead of a big spanner, an oil filter tool like this

might save both freewheel and hub, if you put the tool in a vice.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:37 pm 
Retro Guru

I think you'd be better off roughly re-lacing the non-drive side, stick the freewheel tool in a big vice and use the wheel to undo it. I think it's the only safe way to save both the freewheel and hub

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:08 pm 
Old School Grand Master

Re getting through a day without cutting myself - oh and a pic of the freewheel concerned -

:D

Richard

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:38 pm 
rBoTM Winner
rBoTM Winner

Funny guy! Image is it a real cut :shock:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:42 pm 
Old School Grand Master

Ian,

You think I, iron man as i am, would be bothered about the freewheel if i had a nail through my finger? My daughter wore it today as a joke when i was i the garage - i almost fainted!!

richard