Vintage clipless

clubby

MacRetro Rider
98+ BoTM Winner
Feedback
View
Bought a nice 1985 colnago superissimo which came with super record pedals and clips. Lovely as they are I'd really rather use clipless for day to day riding. What are other people using as vintage clipless. Seen a few pairs of Campag SGR clipless which look nice but not sure the year or if they're any good. Also seen a few sets of look style Campag pedals, but same problem as above.

I think SGR came out in 1987, so they wouldn't be too far off. I had a pair and really didn't like them at all. They weigh a ton, and I found them hard to get out of compared to Look. Maybe I just couldn't get the adjustments right, but I was glad to see the back of them. I don't remember them being very popular, so they are few and far between now, with a price to match when you find them.

Look started doing clipless in 1984, but I think the standard cleat design came in a little later than that. By the late 80s, there were plenty. I think Campag Look-design ones are a bit later (late 80s?)

Edit: I didn't answer your question. I use late 80s Look on my early 80s bikes when not using clips and straps.

Nick

Cheers Nick. Thinking the look style ones might be the best plan. Just done more searching and found similar stories about SGRs. Plus look cleats are much easier to find.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
That's the beauty of Ebay - reuniting people who have cash with stuff they can't live without! I bought a pair of brand new Look PP226 for less than that a while ago but I guess some things appreciate with age! ;)

Martin

I use the PP65s on many bikes because, which may seem strange to some, I don't like float but prefer to be solid in the pedal. (requires the use of black Look cleat) This also brings up an interesting thought: On this forum we are all fans of old bikes but some innovations, like the clipless pedal really have improved the cycling experience. I wonder what other inventions you would add to the list?

Back